• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8400GS 128MB low profile, $13.50 shipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Old Thrashbarg

Ran across this one over on the [H]ard forums. A seller on eBay has a bunch of 128MB 8400GS low-profile cards listed cheap.

It's certainly not a great card, but they're good for an HTPC, or even just as a spare card for backup. It's the G98 version, and though it doesn't say specifically, I would suspect from the amount of memory that it's some sort of TurboCache thing.

He has them set to automatically accept a $13.50 offer, and if he sells out of the ones in the link, you can check his store, it appears he has several other listings with more of them.

Linky.

nd4spdbh2

Ran across this one over on the [H]ard forums. A seller on eBay has a bunch of 128MB 8400GS low-profile cards listed cheap.

It's certainly not a great card, but they're good for an HTPC, or even just as a spare card for backup. It's the G98 version, and though it doesn't say specifically, I would suspect from the amount of memory that it's some sort of TurboCache thing.

He has them set to automatically accept a $13.50 offer, and if he sells out of the ones in the link, you can check his store, it appears he has several other listings with more of them.

Linky.

it's now $15 shipped

OP
O

Old Thrashbarg

You can also get low profile brackets for about $4 on eBay, if you don't feel like cutting a bracket yourself. Even with the extra 4 bucks, I'd say it's still a pretty good total price for a low-profile video card.

Do we post ebay deals here?

Yeah, I wouldn't normally post eBay stuff, but it's not an auction, and it's a good enough deal that it was worth sharing, methinks. :)

OP
O

Old Thrashbarg

Figured I'd give an update... mine came in the mail today. I ordered it on Saturday, I believe, so that's not too shabby on the part of the seller.

As for the card, I can't quite figure out what it is. It shows up with 512MB VRAM, which I initially assumed to be TurboCache, but it's not taking any of the main system RAM. I suspect it may actually be a 512MB card... maybe I'll pull it back out later and look up the numbers on the RAM chips to find out for sure.

The clock speeds are also completely different from what was shown on the listing... it's actually 540mhz core clock rather than 460mhz, and the memory is 1000mhz rather than 800mhz. That puts it in line with the standard 8400GS, not the reduced-speed one I expected. Not that it'll make much difference considering what the card is, but interesting nonetheless.

I'll do a little more checking on it, but it's looking like this thing may be a better deal than it appears.

OP
O

Old Thrashbarg

Yes, it's identical to what you see in the picture.

The heatsink is a little deceptive... I wouldn't actually call it a heatsink so much as a fan mount. It's just a flat piece of aluminum, turned up at the edges to hold the fan bracket. It uses a standard two-pin mount, though, so it would be pretty easy to replace it with a passive heatsink if you were so inclined. It's pretty quiet as it is, though.

nd4spdbh2

Yes, it's identical to what you see in the picture.

The heatsink is a little deceptive... I wouldn't actually call it a heatsink so much as a fan mount. It's just a flat piece of aluminum, turned up at the edges to hold the fan bracket. It uses a standard two-pin mount, though, so it would be pretty easy to replace it with a passive heatsink if you were so inclined. It's pretty quiet as it is, though.

hmmmm a cool running pcie card for 13.50. I could fab up a heatsink right quick to make it fanless.... HMMMMMMMMMMMM!

drshivas

Sith Lord
Figured I'd give an update... mine came in the mail today. I ordered it on Saturday, I believe, so that's not too shabby on the part of the seller.

As for the card, I can't quite figure out what it is. It shows up with 512MB VRAM, which I initially assumed to be TurboCache, but it's not taking any of the main system RAM. I suspect it may actually be a 512MB card... maybe I'll pull it back out later and look up the numbers on the RAM chips to find out for sure.

The clock speeds are also completely different from what was shown on the listing... it's actually 540mhz core clock rather than 460mhz, and the memory is 1000mhz rather than 800mhz. That puts it in line with the standard 8400GS, not the reduced-speed one I expected. Not that it'll make much difference considering what the card is, but interesting nonetheless.

I'll do a little more checking on it, but it's looking like this thing may be a better deal than it appears.

Could you run GPUz and tell us the core model?

According to wikipedia, there's two 8400GS cores, and from what you say, this sounds like the later one: (scroll to Technical summary)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#GeForce_8300_and_8400_Series

nd4spdbh2

Could you run GPUz and tell us the core model?

According to wikipedia, there's two 8400GS cores, and from what you say, this sounds like the later one: (scroll to Technical summary)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#GeForce_8300_and_8400_Series

what he said.... looks to be a G80 based 8400gs and a G92 based 8400gs.... the g80 looks to be faster then what looks like you have the g92 based one. As the g80 version has twice the SP's / texture units and ROP's

GPUZ screen PLZ..... regardless tho 13.50 shipped is still a great price for a backup card.

OP
O

Old Thrashbarg

looks to be a G80 based 8400gs and a G92 based 8400gs.... the g80 looks to be faster

The card is the G98 version.

The two versions were the G86 and G98, and the latter one is better in every way. Faster clockspeeds, smaller process, better overclockability, and an updated PureVideo engine. The rumor that G98 was slower came from some erroneous information that it only had 8 SP's rather that 16, but that isn't true, it does indeed have 16 SP's.

I'll post the GPU-z shot tomorrow, and I may also try some overclocking on it just to see what it can do.

nd4spdbh2

if this is true it is indeed a much better card in everyway. Ill wait for gpuz screens. and its still not to say you wont get either or, as its not specified.