• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8400GS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I have one laying around and was wondering if I should drop it in my HTPC? I have no issues and feel it would be a downgrade from the integrated ATi 785G graphics. The only advantage it would have would be DC with CUDA.

Basically is it worth the 5 minutes of install time and hours of headaches trying to make the drivers play nice with my ATi hardware.

EDIT if I can mod it to 9500GT W/shaders it may be worth it.

Duner

I've had problems running SETI on my 9500GT while using the computer. I had to uncheck "use GPU while computer is in use", otherwise the delay was unbearable. With it unchecked though, it's seamless, and I set it to restart if the computer is idle for 20seconds.

QuietIce

Disabled
It's always worth the time :) but from experience with my own 8400GS I'd take Duner's advise for any machines used on a regular basis. It works out pretty good for me since I put mine on the file server, which I seldom access from it's keyboard, but any machine requiring even a little video usage is bound to be problematic.

I've had problems running SETI on my 9500GT while using the computer. I had to uncheck "use GPU while computer is in use", otherwise the delay was unbearable. With it unchecked though, it's seamless, and I set it to restart if the computer is idle for 20seconds.
+1