• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500 and Dual Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghost68

will the retail 8500 support dual monitors?
and
will the gigabyte 8500le support dual monitors? (im thinkin about buyin this one)

just wonderin (so i can prove someone wrong... :argue: )

skid

Oh yes duel monitors on the retail 8500. But i'm not sure about the gigabyte version...I'd say that it most likely does have dual monitor support.

GoldenTiger

R8500's don't have two RAMDAC's. While you can hook two monitors up to it thanks to its DVI and VGA ports, they'll both only display the same image.

funnyperson1

GoldenTiger said:
The Radeon 8500 does NOT support dual monitors... it only has ONE RAMDAC and can generate ONE image.

Acutally NO....

Dual monitor support
Leading-edge HYDRAVISION™ technology supports traditional CRT monitors, flat panel displays and TVs
Multi-task with MultiDesk - play multi-monitor games, or work in different applications on each monitor without having to switch back-and-forth
Assign 'Hot Key' shortcuts for the most used functions
Vary settings from one application to the next, or choose global settings that determine the behavior of windows and dialog boxes for all applications in your multi-monitor environment
Learn more about HYDRAVISION™

thats right from ATI.....

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
I've set mine up before just to test and it worked perfectly. You just drag and drop windows between monitors.

GravY

Goldentiger, here is a screen shot of my desktop with both monitors activated.. shows two images one for the left monitor and one for the right.. so tell me how this is not possible with the Radeon8500..

PsycoPhreak

The 8500's DO have 2 ramdacs....and CAN do dual monitors...

There are however, cheaper 8500's coming out of the asian markets that the second ramdac was stripped off the board to make the card cheaper...I put a link up a while back warning people to be wary of their purchases. here is a link to the thread...

There are so many different versions out there now, it's important to make sure of what your buying.

So in fact...everyone is right...whether you say you can or can't do dual monitors on an 8500....just depends on which one you happen to get. :D

Last edited:

scooter4n

i tried to play games on first monitor, and do internet on second, and I can't. Game jumps on both monitors. Is that posible??

GravY

Games don't work to well between both monitors, you need your mouse to play the game usually.. thus you can't use the second monitor to surf the web or anything like that.. but for applications you can bounce between both monitors..