• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500le 128 to 9800 pro 256, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The-Traveler

I live in Canada and in two weeks I will have enough money to purchase the following "ATI RADEON™ 9800 Pro 256MB DDR SPECIAL more info $349" from canadacomputers.com.

I currently have a pentium 4 2.4c @ 3.6 w/ 1024mb DC-DDR, 550W antec psu and a radeon 8500le 128mb ddr card. I realise that the new x800 have twice the performance of the 9800 pro but I'm wondering it that performance is really necessary. What I mean is, if I get the 9800 256 mb and over clock it to xt speeds or a little more am I going to be able to play all the games that come out in the next year and a half flawlessly with 16x af and everything on max without Antiailising at all. I really don't care for AA.

What do people with 9800s get in far cry for example?

Anyway thanks for any replies and I appologize if my post looks like its been quickly slapped together, cuz it has lol. I'm off to hunt down some reviews and benchmarks.

Dragonprince

It would do OK gaming with what you've listed but it wont hold a candle to the same rig running an X800 Pro or the 6800 GT. They will both be pretty close in price to what your talking about spending if you can wait a month or two.

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
Dragonprince said:
It would do OK gaming with what you've listed but it wont hold a candle to the same rig running an X800 Pro or the 6800 GT. They will both be pretty close in price to what your talking about spending if you can wait a month or two.

It would do OK? :rolleyes: I'd like to see one game that chalenges the R350 besides Far Cry.

OP
T

The-Traveler

Im not exactly rich lol, I just dont mind taking risks with hardware. ;)

I will only have 400 canadian dollars in two weeks.

Currently thought the x800 "ATI RADEON™ X800 PRO GDDR3 (Limited) more info $639 " is 639, and I really doubt that it would fall into the 350-400 range until at least 2005.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
i own both cards, it is a huge upgrade. and if you are lucky enough to get an r360 core with hynix 2.5 ram on an xt pcb you could maby flash it to an xt and have working overdrive and temp monitering, my sapphire card was like that

OP
T

The-Traveler

What are the chances considering I believe this to be a made by ATi card. The website lists makers for all other models except for a batch it says just ati so im sure they are as stock as can be. Is 360 even a possibility or is this just for the 3rd party makers like Sapphire.