• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600gt or 2600xt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went with the 8600gt, ordered from the egg :D, hopefully evga is good with rebates. Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to mention, some people seem to think if you have a CPU bottleneck increasing the resolution and AA/AF settings can magically increase your FPS, this is not the case, the FPS might take less of a hit yes but will still always go down when increasing these settings.

Really, though, for $60 or less an 8600GT is a pretty good value, especially if you get an overclockable one. Or, if you don't mind dealing with rebates, you could split the difference and get an 8600GTS for $70.

Thanks for the link Old Thrashbarg. I haven't been gaming much since Tribes 2 faded, but something about pullin out my old Geforce 4200TI from its hallowed and restful case, for a new machine I'm building seems sacreligious. This 8600GTS even for 70.00 should be fine for my needs.

the guy asked about a certain price range so give him the answer, go ahead and make sugestions but dont clutter up a thread with all the extra arguement.

stop dissing on the 8600gt, i play everything high on tf2 and get a very playable 50-70fps. with sli i sit right at 60 fps but its more consistent than without. a single 8600gt can easily handle bf2 with everything on high.

Yeah, the card easily handles BF2 on max settings along with TF2 and oblivion(except at parts).

Thanks. My case cooling is rather bad so oc'ing is not very feasible right now. What is the max safe temperature for that card?

Last edited:
Having owned a 7600GT and (currently) a 2600XT, and suggested an 8600GT to my buddy (couldn't get one myself because I have the AGP slot), I'd go with an 8600GT. It appears more reliable and better supported by games.

Get a cheap Sonic version from Palit - those are overclocked and come with a good cooler. Unless you really want 512 MB.

Back