• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600k + z390 Aorus Pro overclocking assistance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a failed post what I find before my last update was the old BIOS version and I get all my settings back when it switches BIOS to backup. I'm thinking of getting a new Gigabyte Z390 and wondering if they changed when the BIOS switches like my Z370 with the BIOS update.
From what you've mentioned it does not look like the switching has been figured out properly.
One option though, if you absolutely must go Gigabyte of course, is to spend a little more money an get the Z390 Master, which has a physical BIOS switch, like Witchdoctor has.
Im shocked that the BIOS switch isn't a more common feature, one of my last boards, the MSI Z87 GD65 had it, and it saved my bacon a few times that's for sure.
Id be happy to pay a small premium for it, just not the $150+ that the master is over the pro wifi (for my needs an use anyway) as I thought the Dual BIOS feature of would be a little less buggy than I've witnessed.

Were both trying to figure out when and why the Gigabyte dual BIOS switches from primary to backup and backup to primary. It was a hot steaming mess before the last update, I'm just wondering if his latest update changed things for the Z390 since my Z370 was doing the same behavior when overclocking with a failed POST before the latest update.

Ahhhhh,
OK now Im with ya, derp.
I'm a little hesitant to load some bad profiles in an see what happens, kinda feels like pushing my luck a little too far.

What I can do is keep an eye and if I have another POST failure that causes a bios switch I can report back, or even DM you if preferred? Unless there's a safe way to force a post failure, thus causing the bios to switch.

From what you've mentioned it does not look like the switching has been figured out properly.
One option though, if you absolutely must go Gigabyte of course, is to spend a little more money an get the Z390 Master, which has a physical BIOS switch, like Witchdoctor has.
Im shocked that the BIOS switch isn't a more common feature, one of my last boards, the MSI Z87 GD65 had it, and it saved my bacon a few times that's for sure.
Id be happy to pay a small premium for it, just not the $150+ that the master is over the pro wifi (for my needs an use anyway) as I thought the Dual BIOS feature of would be a little less buggy than I've witnessed.

Ahhhhh,
OK now Im with ya, derp.
I'm a little hesitant to load some bad profiles in an see what happens, kinda feels like pushing my luck a little too far.

What I can do is keep an eye and if I have another POST failure that causes a bios switch I can report back, or even DM you if preferred? Unless there's a safe way to force a post failure, thus causing the bios to switch.

What I do for a safe post failure is overclock the memory to 4000. When doing that now with the most resent BIOS update I had to clear CMOS and before the BIOS update it would switch BIOS. Post back if you have a POST failure and outcome.

What I do for a safe post failure is overclock the memory to 4000. When doing that now with the most resent BIOS update I had to clear CMOS and before the BIOS update it would switch BIOS. Post back if you have a POST failure and outcome.

This BIOS has only confused me further now :/

Anyway,
I though I might as well try an overclock the memory at the same time as testing the bios, so got it to 3400mhz from a 3000 xmp (even though the Cas went from 15 to 18, which isn't backwards at all) and it booted fine, went to a 3600 and it appeared to boot fine after 1 POST loop (the little mobo lights stuck on memory and then re-POSTed).
after this I check the memory in CPU-z an the speed stayed at the same 3400mhz, but the Cas latency went up another notch to 19 :(. Then I tried to push 3800 memory, which of course it did not like, and POST looped for 3 very long minutes, just cycling through the POST lights on the motherboard. Then it powered off and restarted to do the same for another 3 very very long minutes, and after the next reboot, on the 3rd POST loop it fired up - I went into the BIOS and the little side dashboard (the one that displays when first getting into BIOS or can be viewed at any time by clicking on the right side any time) stated that CPU speed was back to a normal 4000mhz, and the memory was displaying the base 2133mhz. Cool, so looks like the DualBIOS done its thing and wiped everything as it should.
NOPE, Fuu:censored:!!!
all the settings and saves were still there, IE the CPU core multiplier of 48 was still there in the selected field (first column) and the memory was still set as the 3800mhz that failed. when I went to exit it didn't state there was any changes (like it does normally when you do). So if its reading as stock, but all the selections are overclocked, then how can there be no changes made?? Anyway it was at this point I went back and changed the memory to its default XMP and booted up, to report the super fun and amazing shenanigans here...

And here we are indeed, If something doesn't make sense Wingman, lemme know and can hopefully clear it up.

This BIOS has only confused me further now :/

Anyway,
I though I might as well try an overclock the memory at the same time as testing the bios, so got it to 3400mhz from a 3000 xmp (even though the Cas went from 15 to 18, which isn't backwards at all) and it booted fine, went to a 3600 and it appeared to boot fine after 1 POST loop (the little mobo lights stuck on memory and then re-POSTed).
after this I check the memory in CPU-z an the speed stayed at the same 3400mhz, but the Cas latency went up another notch to 19 :(. Then I tried to push 3800 memory, which of course it did not like, and POST looped for 3 very long minutes, just cycling through the POST lights on the motherboard. Then it powered off and restarted to do the same for another 3 very very long minutes, and after the next reboot, on the 3rd POST loop it fired up - I went into the BIOS and the little side dashboard (the one that displays when first getting into BIOS or can be viewed at any time by clicking on the right side any time) stated that CPU speed was back to a normal 4000mhz, and the memory was displaying the base 2133mhz. Cool, so looks like the DualBIOS done its thing and wiped everything as it should.
NOPE, Fuu:censored:!!!
all the settings and saves were still there, IE the CPU core multiplier of 48 was still there in the selected field (first column) and the memory was still set as the 3800mhz that failed. when I went to exit it didn't state there was any changes (like it does normally when you do). So if its reading as stock, but all the selections are overclocked, then how can there be no changes made?? Anyway it was at this point I went back and changed the memory to its default XMP and booted up, to report the super fun and amazing shenanigans here...

And here we are indeed, If something doesn't make sense Wingman, lemme know and can hopefully clear it up.

That is what mine does now when it fails to post it boots up with default settings and lets you make changes to save so it will boot up with changes. looks like it's not switching BIOS anymore like mine with the latest BIOS. Are you still on the same latest BIOS version?

That is what mine does now when it fails to post it boots up with default settings and lets you make changes to save so it will boot up with changes. looks like it's not switching BIOS anymore like mine with the latest BIOS. Are you still on the same latest BIOS version?

Not sure if the backup gets updated as well as the primary but its still on v F9A.

I sent a quick request to Gigabyte to see if they have any info on the real world behavior of the DUAL bios, or at least when it chooses when an how to do the wipe an start again.

Not sure if the backup gets updated as well as the primary but its still on v F9A.

I sent a quick request to Gigabyte to see if they have any info on the real world behavior of the DUAL bios, or at least when it chooses when an how to do the wipe an start again.

Has it wiped your settings with the most resent BIOS update?

Has it wiped your settings with the most resent BIOS update?

If by update you mean when I went from F6 to F9a then yes, I lost EVERYTHING, including fan profiles, not that I expected them to be kept, just stating is all.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S

Also, I've been meaning to ask about your sig, what kinda temps you getting with the 5ghz on the NH-u14?? ( I was gonna ask how you did it, but after looking at the NH-U14, I realised I got confused with the low profile L type ones )

If by update you mean when I went from F6 to F9a then yes, I lost EVERYTHING, including fan profiles, not that I expected them to be kept, just stating is all.
What I mean is after the F9a update has your BIOS wiped the saves like before with a BIOS switch ?

Also, I've been meaning to ask about your sig, what kinda temps you getting with the 5ghz on the NH-u14?? ( I was gonna ask how you did it, but after looking at the NH-U14, I realised I got confused with the low profile L type ones )

Prime95 AVX disabled.
Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.260v
Noctua U14S 80c ambient 71F

Last edited:
What I mean is after the F9a update has your BIOS wiped the saves like before with a BIOS switch ?

Oh sorry, then no, I haven't had any saves be wiped after the update at all.
but with the original F6 BIOS it didn't really wipe either, it just selected a different BIOS, giving the appearance of a wipe, as after the second BIOS switch the original settings that I thought got wiped were back.

Prime95 AVX disabled.
Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.260v
Noctua U14S 80c ambient 71F
Dang,
I had to push my Dynamic to +.165 or so to get a stable 5ghz, not to mention all the LLC tweaks needed. 4.9 was a little easier with only a +.120 needed.
temps are similar but ambient is a couple of Celsius higher (if the air con remote is anything to go by that is) AND I have it hooked up to a custom loop with 360mm worth of radiator space :/
Don't think I got the worst chip ever but certainly didn't win any lotteries

Oh sorry, then no, I haven't had any saves be wiped after the update at all.
but with the original F6 BIOS it didn't really wipe either, it just selected a different BIOS, giving the appearance of a wipe, as after the second BIOS switch the original settings that I thought got wiped were back.
Thanks for the information. I have come to the concussion that the latest BIOS update does not switch BIOS with filed POST anymore. Post what Gigabyte says.

Dang,
I had to push my Dynamic to +.165 or so to get a stable 5ghz, not to mention all the LLC tweaks needed. 4.9 was a little easier with only a +.120 needed.
temps are similar but ambient is a couple of Celsius higher (if the air con remote is anything to go by that is) AND I have it hooked up to a custom loop with 360mm worth of radiator space :/
Don't think I got the worst chip ever but certainly didn't win any lotteries

When I see chips like your I realize how lucky I am this time with my i5 8600k. I had bad luck with a i7 9700k needed 1.320 for 4.9GHz and would not overclock to 5.0GHz.

I found out the hard way that a nice time saver is to save your profiles on a USB drive so that when stuff like this happens it's a quick way to get back to your profiles.

Thanks for the information. I have come to the concussion that the latest BIOS update does not switch BIOS with filed POST anymore. Post what Gigabyte says.
Certainly will, should be a few days going by the auto responder...

When I see chips like your I realize how lucky I am this time with my i5 8600k. I had bad luck with a i7 9700k needed 1.320 for 4.9GHz and would not overclock to 5.0GHz.
The worst part is I actually asked the store manager to pick the best one for overclocking as I wanna de-lid, which he obviously didn't listen to :cry:

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I found out the hard way that a nice time saver is to save your profiles on a USB drive so that when stuff like this happens it's a quick way to get back to your profiles.

Where were you when all this was going down I ask good sir? The amount of time I spent re-doing ALL the PWM fan profiles an other junk got too much in the end an I just went "meh, that'll do"

I always forget sarcasm doesn't convert too well into words....
Those prices though....like I know you're guaranteed to hit your desired speeds but still, OUCH

Well they buy 1000 processors at a time then Bin them into categories. I rather try my luck and settle like you did, to much money for a little overclock.

Well they buy 1000 processors at a time then Bin them into categories. I rather try my luck and settle like you did, to much money for a little overclock.

The amount they want for the higher binned chips are the same as the next step up, IE 9700k @ 5.2 is THE SAME PRICE as a 9900k @ 5.0, so why, just why?
Hmm, should I go an extra 200mhz, or an extra 8 threads, gee I wonder.
The top tier I can kinda understand, if you want the best of the best, but the rest is silly IMO...

The amount they want for the higher binned chips are the same as the next step up, IE 9700k @ 5.2 is THE SAME PRICE as a 9900k @ 5.0, so why, just why?
Hmm, should I go an extra 200mhz, or an extra 8 threads, gee I wonder.
The top tier I can kinda understand, if you want the best of the best, but the rest is silly IMO...

I totally agree every 100Hz is only 2% performance increase. Going from i7 9700k 4.9GHz to 5.2GHz is only 6% performance increase at best for $580.00 no way for me.

Thanks for the information. I have come to the concussion that the latest BIOS update does not switch BIOS with filed POST anymore. Post what Gigabyte says

FROM YE OL GIGABYTE said:
Dear Fatty

Thanks for using GIGABYTE products.

Most of our motherboards have the patch that it could detect the main BIOS works successfully or not. If main BIOS couldn't work successfully, it will switch to the backup BIOS to boot.

Thank you

Best Regards,

GIGABYTE

So that's the initial reply from GIGA, confirmed they dont WIPE, it just switches.

which sucks a little as I just had mine POST loop continually, as I set the memory a little too high, so when it tried to SWITCH to the backup it couldn't POST as that is still bung from the original 5ghz attempt or the last 3800mhz on memory.
I had to clear CMOS just to get a boot, but not sure if its the main or backup that its booting too and how to fix the other still unbootable chip :/
Never had these issues with a physical BIOS toggle switch, and I mean Im sure its only an extra $1 or 2 to manufacture, every overclocking branded board should have this feature IMO.

Back