• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700K Delidded Running Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Hey guys I've got an 8700k i7 delidded with liquid metal conductonaut on it. I put the LM under and on top of the heat sink. I have an NZXT X62 240mm AIO radiator cooling it. I tried overclocking today and at 1.35 vcore I was getting up to 84 celcius on prime95, of course I wasn't stable there so I tried bumping it up to 1.4 vcore and was getting well into the 90s. I've never heard of a delidded chip running this hot ever. I was wondering what I should do, maybe put high quality TIM on top of the heat sink instead of liquid metal? I didn't glue the ihs back on the chip either so maybe that's effecting something? I'm at a loss so if any of you have any suggestions or have had this happen to you please let me know.

No need to glue it. You use the term "heat sink" a couple of times, I'm going to assume you're referring to the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), since you also have a liquid cooler. For the sake of clarity, let's refer to the surfaces involved as "die" (this is the actual silicon of the CPU), "IHS" (this is the piece of nickel coated copper you removed when you de-lidded the CPU), and "cold plate" (this is the surface of the NZXT x62 that makes contact with the CPU IHS). Heat sink is usually used to refer to air cooling.

You're using liquid metal between the IHS and die, correct? Were both surfaces perfectly clean and was liquid metal applied to both the die and the bottom of the IHS before the IHS was placed back on the die? Are you using a different TIM or liquid metal between the top of the IHS and the Cold plate? Most people don't use liquid metal on their coolers because it can corrode the copper cold plate. I would just also do the general checks make sure you can feel the pump vibrations, fans turning etc, and then re-apply your thermal interface, both between the die and IHS and between the IHS and cold plate.

Yeah I'm using LM between the die and IHS, they were cleaned thoroughly prior to applying the LM. I think I only applied the LM to the die not the underside of the IHS. I used the same conductonaut LM in between the IHS and cold plate as well I didn't know that. Sounds like I should probably re-delid and apply LM on the die and the underside of the IHS.

You could watch some videos on delidding if you search youtube. I've not done it myself but in every video I've seen the liquid metal was applied to both the die and the underside of the IHS.

Hey guys I've got an 8700k i7 delidded with liquid metal conductonaut on it. I put the LM under and on top of the heat sink. I have an NZXT X62 240mm AIO radiator cooling it. I tried overclocking today and at 1.35 vcore I was getting up to 84 celcius on prime95, of course I wasn't stable there so I tried bumping it up to 1.4 vcore and was getting well into the 90s. I've never heard of a delidded chip running this hot ever. I was wondering what I should do, maybe put high quality TIM on top of the heat sink instead of liquid metal? I didn't glue the ihs back on the chip either so maybe that's effecting something? I'm at a loss so if any of you have any suggestions or have had this happen to you please let me know.

If you're testing with Prime95 make sure to set the AVX offset to -2. My old delidded i7-8700K would get over 90C running Prime95 overclocked to 5 GHz with the Vcore at 1.4V. But it was stable there and never throttled or crashed while I had it. Without setting the AVX offset, it would not run Prime95 at 5 GHz.

Liquid metal needs to be applied to both the die and the underside of the IHS. Liquid Metal has surface tension properties that basically require you to do this or else it's almost like not putting anything at all on the die. I wouldn't use Liquid Metal in between the IHS and your cooler as it will tarnish/eat away at it over a short period of time. Let us know your results!

Back