• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k New PC Build Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Hello all,

Long story short, I am building a new gaming PC wanted top run this parts list by you guys for a sanity check:

CPU: Core i7-8700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
GFX: GTX 980Ti for now (Re-Unisg my exisitng GPU until 1180 comes out)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Storage: Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 500GB (OS) + Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 1TB (Games)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt (Re-using Old existing PSU)

I absolutely need 32GB RAM for flight simulator use.

A few concerns:
1) Can you please recommend a 32GB kit from the G.Skill TridentZ RGB line? Should I get 2x16GB or 4x8GB, which is best?
2) Will the NZXT AIO Kraken x62 be sufficient for the 8700k and hitting 5GHz or should I go with x72 ?
3) I did not see the SAMSUNG 970 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2s in the QVL for the Maximus X Formula. Will they work?

Thank you!

Last edited:
1. 32GB for a gaming PC is overkill... 16GB should be plenty for a few years to come. Maybe put that $100+ saved halving the RAM and put it into a GPU now (if you are ready, why not go 1080Ti?)?
1a. 2x8GB or 2x16GB for sure.
2. X62 should be fine... but it depends on the chip.
3. It should... best to ask ASUS if you are looking for 100% confirmation.

1. 32GB for a gaming PC is overkill... 16GB should be plenty for a few years to come. Maybe put that $100+ saved halving the RAM and put it into a GPU now (if you are ready, why not go 1080Ti?)?
1a. 2x8GB or 2x16GB for sure.
2. X62 should be fine... but it depends on the chip.
3. It should... best to ask ASUS if you are looking for 100% confirmation.

Hey ED!! Good to see you around here buddy! Been a long time haha

I absolutely must have 32GB. Im running DCS World 2.5 and Xplane flight SIMs and both depend heavily on 32GB for very busy and intricate missions. I am also dead set on the G.Skill TridentZ RGB. Any chance you can point me in the right direction for a 2x16GB kit? Also if a RAM kit is not on the QVL for the Maximus X Formula mobo should I stay away from it?

EDIT: Also, am I only limited to DDR4 that runs at 2666MHz for the 8700k ?

Last edited:
Id would like into 3200MHz CL15 kit for Trident Z

If its not on the QVL it means it does not work or wasn't tested. That said, most RAM just simply works with Intel, so... there is that. Again, 100% confirmation, I'd reach out to ASUS.

Id would like into 3200MHz CL15 kit for Trident Z

If its not on the QVL it means it does not work or wasn't tested. That said, most RAM just simply works with Intel, so... there is that. Again, 100% confirmation, I'd reach out to ASUS.

I've been looking at this for a while now: F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR

But everyone says 2x16GB is better than 4x8GB. Not sure what to do with that aside from settling for the 4x8GB which is one the QVL list for my chosen mobo.

If I go with 3200 RAM on the 8700k which is rated for 2666, does that mean I would be overloading the IMC on the CPU?

Better... sort of.. its just a bit less stress on the IMC. But since you are not using fast RAM 4x I am sure would be fine.

Overloading, no... overclocking, yes. The IMCs will go well over 4K so don't worry.

Better... sort of.. its just a bit less stress on the IMC. But since you are not using fast RAM 4x I am sure would be fine.

Overloading, no... overclocking, yes. The IMCs will go well over 4K so don't worry.

I took a look at some nice 2x16GB TridentZ RGB kits but neither G.skill nor ASUS have one another on their QVL list. I think I'm going to play it safe and go with this 4x8GB kit F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR-_-20-232-488-_-Product

I would not give much thought to QVL lists. Their testing sample size is small compared to what's available out there in the wild, the vast majority of which will pose no compatibility issues on an Intel-based system.

I would not give much thought to QVL lists. Their testing sample size is small compared to what's available out there in the wild, the vast majority of which will pose no compatibility issues on an Intel-based system.

That being said my options are this QVL list kit which is 4x8GB 3200MHz F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR or the non QVL 2x16GB which "SHOULD" work, listed below. For those 2x16GB is the CL15 kit the best choice?

F4-3200C14D-32GTZR (CL14)
F4-3200C15D-32GTZR (CL15)
F4-3200C16D-32GTZR (CL16)

I would go with whatever is the least expensive as on Intel systems the lower CL won't amount to a hill of beans. Unless you are into competitive benchmarking, that is. Then the lower CL would give slightly better numbers.

I would go with whatever is the least expensive as on Intel systems the lower CL won't amount to a hill of beans. Unless you are into competitive benchmarking, that is. Then the lower CL would give slightly better numbers.

I appreciate it! I'll go with F4-3200C15D-32GTZR. So to sum things up:

CPU: Core i7-8700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB CL15)
MOBO: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
GFX: GTX 980Ti for now (Re-Unisg my exisitng GPU until 1180 comes out)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Storage: Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 500GB (OS) + Samsung 970EVo NVMe M.2 1TB (Games)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt

Your 1200 watt PSU is way overkill, unless that is you have plans to sometime in the future go with multiple power hungry video cards. With only one video card, even a high end one, 600 watts is plenty.

Hello guys and girls,

I am happy to report that so far everything has gone smoothly. I built the system externally on the bench first outside the case and installed windows 10. Initially the UEFI BIOS did not pick up my DDR4 RAM timings and speed but after loading XMP profile, it sits nicely at 3200MHz 15-15-15-35.

One thing I was unsure of is how much to tighten the Kraken x62 water pump onto the 8700k. I put it on firmly but did not get too crazy with it. So far my temps outside the case do not break 50c. (I am assuming that once it goes in the case that I should probably see higher temps)

Next I ran a few benchmarks like Firestrike, and Cinebench R15 (I don't have the screenshots to share the results at the moment as I am away from home but will as soon as I return). I was very happy with the results but I would barely see my CPU speeds on the 8700k hit anywhere near the 4.7GHz turbo mark. Most I would see is about 4.1GHz and no more. I decided to take the plunge and update the BIOS on my Maximus X Formula. I noticed that the BIOS version on the mobo was the oldest version ever released for this model and that there were several releases past that one all with "Improved performance and stability" in their release notes.

I went into UEFI and simply went to "Update BIOS via Internet" I just said what the hell, lets see what happens. It all went smoothly. I re-ran my benchmarks again after the BIOS update and noticed a significant improvement from the previous run with the oldest BIOS loaded. I also noticed my CPU speed hit 4.7 GHz for multiple durations of time. I am very happy with this :)

Now as far as my AIO Kraken x62 is concerned, I did hear some very slight and benign gurgling of the cooling fluid but it seems to have settled and completely disappeared after about a day or so. The temps on my 8700k at stock speeds hit about 35-40c while playing DCS but this is also keeping in my that the mobo is still sitting in open air outside the case so I assume temps will be higher one I get it all buttoned up. I can not even hear the water pump which is a bit concerning but after I looked at the CPU temp/Pump RPM curve, I was not hitting CPU temps anywhere near what would cause the pump to go into full blast.

In DCS at 3240x1920 on 3 monitor portrait surround, I have all detail settings on the highest possible level with 2x AA and 4x AF and I am averaging 60fps over Las Vegas. It will dip to about 50fps at times but not for too long.

I do plan on overclocking the 8700k to hit 5 GHz in a few months but for now I think Im just going to exercise it at stock.

I will share my Samsung Magic M.S SSD scores as well Firestrike and Cinebench and would love to get your thoughts on how my system stacks up at stock speeds. In the mean time I ill leave you with some photos :)

As always, I appreciate all of the time and energy from you guys in helping me put this machine together :)

IMG_20180619_124341_zpsx3tijjpm.jpg
IMG_20180619_182640_zpszy9cui4p.jpg
IMG_20180619_212136_zpskttmmuwo.jpg
IMG_20180619_212150_zps55ubtfjl.jpg
IMG_20180619_212201_zpsalmwb1nc.jpg
IMG_20180619_220054_zpseyzn2aeq.jpg
IMG_20180619_221352_zpsoy87qrts.jpg
IMG_20180621_132311_zpsmr3cbqbd.jpg
IMG_20180621_132313_zps4kjiojim.jpg
IMG_20180621_134455_zpshnme9dlo.jpg
IMG_20180623_012311_zpswrjihwnf.jpg
Screenshot_20180624-162201_zpshfozbuaq.png
Screenshot_20180624-162241_zpsedcgqqr2.png

Once you put the components in the case the temps will be higher. How much depends on what direction the radiator fans are turned. If the fans are oriented to push cool outside air in through the radiator then you won't see much difference in CPU load temps. Biggest jump will likely be with GPU temps.

Once you put the components in the case the temps will be higher. How much depends on what direction the radiator fans are turned. If the fans are oriented to push cool outside air in through the radiator then you won't see much difference in CPU load temps. Biggest jump will likely be with GPU temps.

Interesting vid on that subject.

That. looks awesome!

It can climb really high to the ceiling during a very busy missions with lots of dynamic triggers. I have not characterized it yet.
Did a translator write this? :)

I guess RAM use is high but you have not measured to see what it peaks at, correct?

Back