• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTX Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

What are acceptable idle/load temps for an 8800 GTX?

Im currently running one with a stock cooler, in what appears to be a hot CM690 case with a P5K dlx, Q6600/TRUE 120, 2 X 1GB Corsair PC6400, Antec Truepower Trio 650w, and about 8 case fans LOL....

Im going to be upgrading this rig to water within the next week or so, but for now I am currently running these temps:

Idle after system on for a bit: 55-58C
Idle after system off for a bit: 45-46C
Load (gaming - 30-45 mins) 78-80C
Load (3D01 Nature Looping) 82-84C

Temps are measured with Rivatuner 2.08, and 8800 fan is set to run at 100% all the time (for the time being)

This is all at stock volts, and I plan on voltmodding this card shortly before I add the custom water setup.

Those temps look a tad on the high side for stock volts, even with the stock cooler.

Not that it really matters, both the clocks are currently set at 600/1350/950 until I sink the memory and upgrade the core cooling.

What do you think? Temps too high or ok?

TY!

Seems rather high, I'm not sure how good the stock cooling is though. Have you made sure that any dust is cleaned out?

That does seem very high for fan at 100 with that low of clocks.

That does seem very high for fan at 100 with that low of clocks.

I have found (and maybe Im wrong) that clocks dont affect temps at all. It seems to me its strictly a voltage related phenomenon.

I have found (and maybe Im wrong) that clocks dont affect temps at all. It seems to me its strictly a voltage related phenomenon.
Heatout put rises linearly with clock speeds....

Yes, transistors switching faster means more heat, It could be a bad mount/paste.

If it's eVGA just redo the paste, I think XFX allows this too, BFG also i'm not fully sure yet.

Yes, transistors switching faster means more heat, It could be a bad mount/paste.

If it's eVGA just redo the paste, I think XFX allows this too, BFG also i'm not fully sure yet.

Its XFX. It doesnt matter to me what XFX allows, Im going to voltmod this thing anyhow so.....the warranty is a non-issue.

I was unaware of the clock affecting temps. I certainly do not see that as true for CPUs, as it seems it is for CPUs. That is true for CPUs as well?

I was unaware of the clock affecting temps. I certainly do not see that as true for CPUs, as it seems it is for CPUs. That is true for CPUs as well?
It is true for any type of transistor ;)

You can try this. Run your processor at stock speeds/volts; measure temp. Run it at stock speeds with "heavily" (not benching heavy) voltage increase; measure temp. It will be higher.

Run your processor at the previous voltage and increase the clock speed from stock; measure temp. It will be higher than just the voltage increase :)

Cool Ill give that a go Thid.

So, there is pretty much complete agreement that those temps are too high I take it?

How much of that could be from case temps too high? I find my CPU in this case is noticably warmer than in other cases Ive run it in the past.

I need to work out my fan situation, as well as do some wire management I think....

Ill prob wait to remount until I do my water setup. Besides, I dont have any of the thick squishy thermal paper that covers the FETS and memory chips. I do have plenty of extra copper heatsinks, but I only have a TR HR-03 GT which I believe only fits G92 and not G80.....

So I guess Im waiting until I get my water setup :)

Most if not all, run the card on the bench and do the same tests ;)

Yea, I plan on it, but didnt want to mess with the drivers on the bench setup at the moment till Im finished up with the Forum Wars runs, and dont want to pull this whole system out of the case and remount it all back on one of the benches either :)

I see those temps when im running sli. Before sli, I didnt pay attention. I could smell things getting warm when I added the second 8800 gtx (bfg) and that is when I started to monitor things. It's new, so, I guess there would be some new? smell? (like things running hot and heavy for the first time) When I use rivatuner with the two cards, I see three temps core0, core1 and another core. There is also an ambient. When I run crisis to heat things up. I see the two cores hitting 81 and 84, the third says 78/79. I called bfg and they said they would rma it, its too hot. I just got it, one by its self was fine. i was ready to throw in the towel (might still since im still in the 30 days). I called evga to make sure all is good, since the 780i motherboard is evga and they said those are normal temps. I watched the temps and the fan speed went from the 60% at low temps up to 100% when it was around 80c. So, the room gets warm fast from the heat, tempted to rma the second cause the heat doesnt seem worth it.

Back