• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8kha upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diddydo75

hi,
looking to upgrade my dads xp1500 pali to an xp2400.
the online manuals say that the board will only take a cpu upto 1400mhz.
i cant find any info at epox to say if a bios flash will allow the upgrade to be sucessful as all their links seem to be dead or cause me an error.
if anyone can help pop and me will be greatful.

thanks in advance.
did

ThePCGuy

Do you have a Rev 1.1 or Rev 1.3? The 1.3 shows support for up to a athlon xp 1800+, however nothing is listed for the 1.1. Best of luck to you.

- ThePCGuy

ThePCGuy

Only up to a 1800+ Palomino? Anyone else try anything larger than a 1800+ xp?

- ThePCGuy

wildfrogman

nah, going from a 1500+ to an 1800+ wouldnt be a large jump in performance really. Though newegg is really good with returns if the chip doesnt work out. I would say try the thorton 2400+ if you flashed up to the latest bios and are feeling lucky.

OP
diddydo75

diddydo75

thorton 2400+?....i take it thats a thoroughbred core?
this my dads money so i gotta be sure.i must admit i'm a bit gutted about the seeminly limited upgrade abilities of the board.
my somewhat lesser board k7s5a can go upto a 2600 with 266 fsb.
thanks again for the replies people.
diddydo75

kimber

well i'm not forsure about the 8kha but i have the rev. 1.1 8kha+ with a thoughbreb a running 2.1gigs in my lan machine.i did have to update bios though.had it in there for almost a year now no probs.

OP
diddydo75

diddydo75

ok, so it seems my dads upgrade potential is very limited but what about overclocking the pali?
are their multipliers locked?
if so is just uping the fsb?
must admit havent really looked into the overclocking potential of the board. but if there is a way of getting a bit more out of the chip then its worta go.
did

OP
diddydo75

diddydo75

so has anyone or does anyone konw if the 1800 is the max the board will take.the email from epox said that the xp1800 was the most it could take because the board couldn't provide the juice for faster processors? but if the psu is upto the job whats the problem? the chip on the board is the via kt266 i cant believe that it cant take more than the 1800.