• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8MB o/b -> GeForce 2mx -> ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I currently have a GeForce 2 MX Graphics card (AGP 4x, 350RAMDAC). I am going to upgrade soon, should I get a new graphics card. I can buy either:

A Duron 800
Another 128 Meg of PC133 RAM
A new graphics card

I could sell the GeForce for about UK£40-50 and spend a maximum of £100 altogether. I could also add ram or get a faster processor

Stats:
Duron 650
128MB PC133 RAM
30G Seagate Barracuda
GeForce 2 MX

I personally would go for the RAM or the CPU over the graphic card as the performance increase will be more noticable on your overall system, A improved graphic card will display most of its improved performance in games, so unless the frame rate of graphic intensive games is a area of concern your money would be better spent on other improvements. In the UK I personally would consider these options.

Duron 800 ( http://overclockers.co.uk sell unlocked Duron 800's guanteed to do 1 ghz )
Sell your Duron 650 and buy a better hsf for your new 800 Duron
128 mb Crucial 133 mhz cas 2 ram ( just my personal prefrence)
Keep the Gforce and modify it to display as a Quadro (see my signature for URL)
£100 also brings the posibility of a new mobo

Im yet to play a game that makes my Gforce perform really badly so untill that time comes, I will spend my money elsewhere.. just my opinion
---------------------------------------
Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (Crucial Stuff CAS 2)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Eraser X2 Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live Value
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

Ta, whats the lowest Uk price for a stick of 128?
What is CAS?

PS I like the signiture, its telling the truth.

I think it is the speed on which the ram FSB runs-cas2 is faster but cannot achieve a high of a FSB as a stick at cas3- cas2@133 is similar to cas3@150 or something like that

If i was in your place, i would just buy a 900 or 1000 MHz thunderbird assuming your motherboard can take it. 128 mb ram you have is fine for running games and apps. The difference between duron 650 and 800 is very small. And your video card is very good for just about any new game that's out there, i have a much older card and it runs great. So get a thunderbird, they are much better than durons.

PowerProtein (May 22, 2001 09:51 a.m.):
So get a thunderbird, they are much better than durons.

What performance difference can I expect?

Thanks

Back