• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA & Soundcard...questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ardent

My 8RDA will do 200FSB nicely, had a slight issue with distorted sound whilst gaming and using voice chat program for heavy periods, but that got solved with a heatsink on the southbridge.

I do have a cheapo 6 Channel Soundcard that I can put in, the sound quality is decent with it. Is it as simple as disabling the onboard sound in Bios? Or is there something I have to do with the nForce drivers as well?

Also, what kind of gain performance/cooling wise will I get from using a soundcard with regard to the SB? Does the onvoard sound use much CPU power? Will this enable me to push the FSB higher? ( I have some new ram coming ).

Just to note, no VDD mod here and it always sits at 1.6V according to USDM.

Thx, Ardent

XJ

yes, that is all you need to do, disable onboard sound in bios. and your other question, i haven't noticed any difference in speed or benchmarks or overclock due to using sound card rather than onboard.

q149

The 8rda sound is much better than a cheapo card so i would stick with it. Just keep the SB cooled. You might get a slight performance increase by not using the on-board but i doubt you will get a higher FSB.