• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

900p impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
caddi daddi might have a counter for that... :eek:

Let's put that to the test, shall we?

when I spill my booze in the car I get butt rot.... that's ok, I did the dead, I pay the price, no harm done.

when I have spilled my booze down the computer, fire has ensued, this has proven to be some what less than good, quite exciting, but still not good and, as a rule the computer is junk and my little bee is most upset with me............

Lets put numbers on the fun. speed is fun so let's use that.

my computer tends to make a very solid 0 miles per hour and cost around $3000, so, 0x 3000= 0, so 0 funs there, unless I'm mad at it and throw it out the window, about 5 mph. 5 x 3000= 15000 funs and a few less than fun fires but 15000 funs.

now, my cute, little fire breathing Lancia, Beta, Monty Carlo with 790 rw hp cost about $100,000 so far and makes a solid 190 mph our last outing at savanna so, 190x 100,000= 19,000,000 funs and so far no fires, other than a few blown engines as we made our way with the little 1.5 litre unit. thus I have mathmaticly proven beyond any doubt that cars are funner and safer than computers, and who really minds a little butt rot from good booze? it's better than from sweat!!!!!!

900p-cdm.png

Old thread is old, but I just did a CDM test for another forum, and thought I'd go back to compare it to older results. The sequential speeds I'm getting now are way higher than they were before! Even randoms have a bit of a boost. Question is why?

I wish I still had the reference, but I recall reading somewhere that Optane SSDs have certain refresh requirements. Since it doesn't know how long it has been powered off, on a power cycle all the data is refreshed in the background. I don't know how long that might take, but it might be why my previous benchmarks were lower than now. Especially as at the time I was tinkering with configurations a lot, thus rebooting a lot too.

There was also speculation as a side effect of the Spectre/Meltdown testing in other places. Some had expected a big drop for Optane seeing how latency is its main selling point, but had observed it practically took no hit unlike flash SSDs. Question there was, are there some OS level optimisations implemented to improve access for Optane that might have helped that?

I think it also means I need to re-run my other benchmarks given the last set were also likely too close to the reboot to have full impact.

Back