• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90nm Athlon 64 Socket 939 Winchesters are here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ap673 said:
Well with locked multi's, it all up to how good your ram is, or you can use dividers, but doesnt that kinda kill performance?

Not that much. Running 1:1 will always give the best performance, but dividers work a bit differently on the A64. It doesn't hurt performance anywhere close to how it does on an AXP.

Hmm, I'm wondering if nvidia will be able to make an effective lock on the PCI-e bus. So far intel hasn't and that is really one of the main reasons why socket 775 has had such difficulty overclocking.

I'm starting to itch for something new to put under the phase change... We will have to see how well the new DFI 939board does, and then later how the nforce 4 boards do.

man_utd said:
Hmm, I'm wondering if nvidia will be able to make an effective lock on the PCI-e bus. So far intel hasn't and that is really one of the main reasons why socket 775 has had such difficulty overclocking.

I'm starting to itch for something new to put under the phase change... We will have to see how well the new DFI 939board does, and then later how the nforce 4 boards do.
just because u use lga775 doesnt mean u have to use PCI-e, get a i875p board, that has AGP and ddr1, and LGA775

Pjotr said:
I was wrong, AMD now states dual core will fit in 95 W TDP (see link). Examples given shows up to 3 speed grades below single core CPUs. Meaning, if there is a 2.6 GHz single core A64 out, dual core will be available in 2.0 GHz within 95 W TDP. Probably AMD will have higher top end A64, meaning even higher dual core CPUs.

These cual core CPUs will be the top binned CPUs, like mobiles, so it is likely you will be able to overclock the dual cores rather well, assuming you have good cooling for > 95 W.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1666804,00.asp
Yes so basically a 2GHz dual core (i.e 2 cpus of 1Ghz each) will be rated to 95W wheareas at present a 2GHz cpu is rated only at 89W (even lower if 90nm power ratings are confirmed). Hopefully by the time they come out 90nm will be perfected and achieving 3GHz might be possible - but this is entire speculation.

Maybe I didn't understand right, but I thought this 2GHz dual core, consists of 2x2GHz cores. Looking at the thermal design of mobile chips at 2Ghz it could be possible that 2x2GHz cores stay below 100W.
Another reason could be lowered heat of the 90nm A64 and that only the best cores will be used for dual core.
I can't believe that two 1GHz cores would put out that much power.

The 2GHz for BOTH (ie total) is roughly correct for those at launch. Indeed it may well be optimistic some are saying they will launch at 1.6GHz. (clockspeeds expected to be 600Mhz to 1Ghz lower than at present in TOTAL).
The shortfall is then made up by performance improvements over single core of between 30 to 55%.
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041005_205914.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1666805,00.asp
http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=767 (for the french speakers!)
The notion of 1.4 to 1.6GHz EACH cpu is highly unlikely given the near doubling of transistors and only a 95W TDP!

Last edited:
How's this going to affect video rendering and such, Intel's been superior in that field, is AMD going to make a CPU to match Intel as far as Video editing performance is concerned?

c627627 said:
How's this going to affect video rendering and such, Intel's been superior in that field, is AMD going to make a CPU to match Intel as far as Video editing performance is concerned?

Intel's HT can be simulated. This is very fine, because Intel tried all the time to make users believe that HT is such a fantastic feature, and now AMD can say "go ahead" :D

Dexx said:
Does anyone have a 90nm 3000+ yet? If so, whats its best OC on air?
3200 here, tops out at about 2200mhz 1.5volts (motherboard wont allow higher)

not sure if im missing something thats making this SO bad at overclocking. :(

c627627 said:
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 9:47 PM
To: newegg

Why are these links dead please, instead of saying "out of stock, ETA is..."

$169 FREEE SHIPPING 90nm 3000+ Athlon 64
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-499&depa=1

$218 FREEE SHIPPING 90nm 3200+ Athlon 64
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-500&depa=1

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:32:31 -0700
To: me

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg,

If the item is no longer on our website it will be out of stock for more than two weeks.

Well, I guess that gives Abit time to get their new boards out. I'd be waiting for that anyway, so np there.

Has anyone seen a big benefit in buying the 3200+ over the 3000+? Or are the overclocks about the same on air?

There are simply too few reports yet. Many people haven't bought the CPU because they're waiting for the nForce4 chipset which is supposed to be announced next week but it's anybody's guess when we'll see those boards availabe to be shipped to customers.

Overlag said:
3200 here, tops out at about 2200mhz 1.5volts (motherboard wont allow higher)

not sure if im missing something thats making this SO bad at overclocking. :(
You have a socket 754 (I think Clawhammer going by your default). We are talking about the Winchesters.

I thought people hadn't bought the chips because they just can't get any. For a couple weeks now.

I'm willing to wait till after Christmas though. I'll save a ton of cash that way and maybe we'll even have boards with SLI by then.

OC Detective said:
You have a socket 754 (I think Clawhammer going by your default). We are talking about the Winchesters.
no, i have both
754, 3200/2000mhz 1024kb 130nm Asus K8V (old system in sig)
939, 3200/2000mhz 512kb 90nm Asus A8V (new system, work in progress ;))

How did you get one in the UK? Do overclockers.co.uk have them? If so are they still in stock (last time I checked they were on preorder)?
Edit - oh I see Evesham Technology has them in the UK

Back