• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

920 D0 stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turok_t

Registered
Hey guys, is there a way to check if the 920 is D0 stepping just by looking through the box before I buy it from the store??

OP
T

turok_t

Registered
Thanks for your replies. Even though its a D0 stepping, is there a specific batch i should look for?

Shadowmonk

:comp:

There is a list around of batch numbers but ive seen both batches on that list and ones reported to be so-so so 4.2ghz or more, so i think with D0 stepping its just a matter of luck.

fire2havoc

Thanks for your replies. Even though its a D0 stepping, is there a specific batch i should look for?

Batches aren't a very good indicator in many cases. It always depends on your specific chip. Many people with my batch (3841A) couldn't get past 3.8GHz but I was able to hit 4.0GHz. If you really want the list, I believe there is one over at XtremeSystems.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Don't worry about batches - some think the "B" batches are the choice D0's, but there's really no proof of that. I bought a "B" batch D0 from Microcenter, but only because it was there for the grabbing. I wouldn't have sweated an A or B as long as it's a D0.

Neuromancer

Overclocking really appears more to be a limit of motherboard on i7 than which batch D0. (with exceptions on the extreme end (4.6+ GHz on air)) hmm actually thats pretty much up to the motherboard also lol

OP
T

turok_t

Registered
Im thinking about getting the Gigabyte UD3R for my X58. Will it limit my overclock?

OP
T

turok_t

Registered
Hey, here are the steppings I found when looking at my local stores today:

3939B108 --> google gave me 1 hit of a guy getting 4.2Ghz on H2O
3939B112
3939B100
3936A262

Anyone have any experience with these batches?

OP
T

turok_t

Registered
I think I will prob get the UDR3 since its cheap, or ill wait till boxing day to see if any other X58 mobos are on sale..

Im also torn between the OCZ 1066 platinum vs the corsair.. any suggestions on which one is better on overclocking?

Alien432

Tech Savvy Member
It's really the luck of the draw for a good chip. There are batches that seem to have more be "good" chips in them. Some people have bought several chips and keep the best they find. I thinks odds of finding a good chip is higher than getting a bad one. Unless your benching it really doesn't matter all that much when you hit 4.2 vs 4.3, that's like .1ghz it's not going to be that different in terms of an application running. But to a bencher it's a world of difference. Heck if your getting a ud3 then it doesn't matter at all.

OP
T

turok_t

Registered
So I think I can finally finalize my system now..

Im going to get the Corsair 850HX since its only $20 more at Newegg, because I want to be safe than sorry, especially since Im going to OC under water and I might be getting Nvidia's Fermi when it comes out. In terms of the memory, I think im going to stick with OCZ platinum/XTC 7-7-7-24 (OCZ3P1600LV6GK) since its alot cheaper than Corsair (~$40-$70). Also, I live close to the OCZ warehouse so if theres any problems or need for RMA, i can always go there and quickly exchange my ram.

For now, im going to stick with Gigabyte UD3R as the mobo. If another X58 mobo (ie. Asus P6T, EVGA) goes on sale during black friday or boxing day, then ill get that instead since they will prob have 6 slots dimm as opposed to the UD3R which only has 4 slots.. Good for future upgrade incase if I need it.

fire2havoc

So I think I can finally finalize my system now..

Im going to get the Corsair 850HX since its only $20 more at Newegg, because I want to be safe than sorry, especially since Im going to OC under water and I might be getting Nvidia's Fermi when it comes out. In terms of the memory, I think im going to stick with OCZ platinum/XTC 7-7-7-24 (OCZ3P1600LV6GK) since its alot cheaper than Corsair (~$40-$70). Also, I live close to the OCZ warehouse so if theres any problems or need for RMA, i can always go there and quickly exchange my ram.

For now, im going to stick with Gigabyte UD3R as the mobo. If another X58 mobo (ie. Asus P6T, EVGA) goes on sale during black friday or boxing day, then ill get that instead since they will prob have 6 slots dimm as opposed to the UD3R which only has 4 slots.. Good for future upgrade incase if I need it.

Good choices. I would personally choose Corsair over OCZ, but that's a personal choice. Good luck with the build. :)