• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chas1723

Registered
I have an Opteron 180 runnning at 2.76 on a 939 Neo2 Platinum board. I have a Thermalright XP-90C with a medium speed 92mm fan on it. My temps range from 42-55 on the cpu, 26-48 on core 0, and 34-54 on core 1. My case ranges from 26-30. Would a new heatsink and fan be a good idea? I would like to take it to 3ghz but it seems my memory will not allow it.

muddocktor

Retired
If you change that fan out with one that pushes 55-65 cfm and lap the base, you will have cooling performance on par with an Ultra 120 (non-extreme). I'm running a Delta EFB0912LE 3 blade on mine and it keeps the temps on an E6750 overclocked to 3600 at around 40-44 C while running Seti. Unfortunately, Sidewinder Computers is out of stock on those fans and I don't know anyone else that carries them. But I think a Panaflo H1BX would substitute in well and it's not too noisy.

OP
C

chas1723

Registered
I have lapped the base already. I did not lap the processor itself though. I have a tornado around here somewhere. I have not tried it with this processor due to it being so loud. I may give it a try just to see what it could do with the temps.

Quick69GTO

It's all about silence these days. It wasn't so much a few years ago. A thermalright with a tornado was the way to get acceptable temps on air from an over clocked processor but a noisy PC was the result.
You have allot more options today to overclock without sacrificing having a silent system.
Go with the Ultra-120.

muddocktor

Retired
Quick, the XP90-C doesn't need a loud as hell Tornado on it to perform superbly. My Delta EFB I use isn't a focused flow fan and it's noise is quite livable for me as it doesn't have a high pitched whine like the focused flow fans. The all copper XP90-C is much more efficient than you think it would be. If you don't have an XP90-C then you really don't know what I am talking about. It does need around 55-65 cfm of airlflow with decent static air pressure for great cooling however. And it is a much lower profile heatsink than the U-120 or even the Ultima 90 series heatsinks, making it a good choice for narrower cases. As an added benefit, the waste air also blows across the mobo components such as the power fets and even the ram and nb, helping keep them cooler.

Romulox

I used to own a Neo2 Platinum and tried installing a si-120. Unfortunately the si-120 blocked the video card slot even though thermalright's website didn't list it as incompatible.
The Ultra-120 has similar specs so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn’t fit. I don't think there are too many 120mm fan solutions for Neo2 Platinum.
Just to double check, is this the board?
http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1126633684.gif

OP
C

chas1723

Registered
I used to own a Neo2 Platinum and tried installing a si-120. Unfortunately the si-120 blocked the video card slot even though thermalright's website didn't list it as incompatible.
The Ultra-120 has similar specs so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn’t fit. I don't think there are too many 120mm fan solutions for Neo2 Platinum.
Just to double check, is this the board?
http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1126633684.gif

Thats the one. So maybe a higher flow fan is my best bet.

muddocktor

Retired
I would give it a try, chas1723. It's a much cheaper solution too than buying a $50 heatsink plus a 120mm fan. You already know the XP90-C fits on your board.

Quick69GTO

I never said the XP-90C was a bad heatsink. I just sold a 939 system with a XP-90C/Panaflo M1A-BX that does very well.
There are more efficient heatsinks made today compared to the XP-90C. As hard as chas1723 wants to push his processor, he will need something more efficient than his present setup.
Putting a higher cfm fan on the XP-90C is a viable solution, but he will be sacrificing total system db.
I personally prefer death quiet PCs and that's what I build for myself and my customers. Using large, low RPM fans in the case, and installing the largest possible heatsink/fan combo on the processor allows you achieve a virtually silent PC even with a stout overclock.
Installing a 92mm fan in the 55-65cfm range on the XP-90C will make chas1723's PC noticeably louder. If he doesn't mind, then by all means, install the higher cfm fan.
I gave him that recommendation but I also gave him a quieter solution.
If the Ultra-120 will fit, I still stand by my recommendation.
It might be a moot point though if it won't fit on the Neo2 Platinum.

Anyway, have fun!

renegade44

I just had a 3800X2/NF4 @2.75 with the XP120 I've since gone to an e8400/IP35-E with a TRU

truthfully I'd recommend spending the money on upgrading my cpu/motherboard rather than buying a heatsink that at best can only provide a marginal gain. Thats not knocking the TRUE (because I have a TRU)thats just how good an XP90C is for your setup.

Neo2 Platinum? NF3 board?

If so, trust me, spend the money on a CPU/MOBO upgrade.

rseven

Man, this thread is going down memory lane for me. I ranted about the Neo2 for a year in this forum. Funny thing, though, I'm still running it with an Opteron 144 at 2700 MHz and its been purring along for a couple of years without so much as a sneeze.

Now, as for the cooling situation and OC'ing situation. First off, it would be helpful to know what you are running. The ram shouldn't be an issue as the multiplier should be able to slow it to a speed it can run. I'd also like to know what bios you are using as the ones from MSI are crap and I'd strongly recommend a modded one, which can be had here.
Before I'd invest in extra cooling, I'd investigate if you really have any headroom on the chip. Opterons OC like hell till they reach their limit and then they crap out fast. No matter how much voltage or cooling you add it won't go higher. So, I wouldn't just sink a lot of money in a cooler that might get you nothing. Open the case and blow a big fan on everything and see how far it will go. Also, you haven't said what kind of vcore you're giving it and that would be an indicator of how much headroom you have left.

Good luck with it and get back to us with more information.

Cheers!:beer:

R7

OP
C

chas1723

Registered
Well....my system is a dual core Opty 180(2.4ghz)@ 2.76ghz on my Neo2 Platinum board. I have 2 gig Corsair TwinX pc3200 (2-2-2-6-1T). I recently purchased a Sapphire HD3850. My system has 2 80mm intake fans and 2 80mm exhaust fans. It also has a 120 exhaust fan on the power supply. Right now I have my system running at 2.76ghz by using a X12 multiplier and a 230 bus speed. I set my HT at 4X so it is running 920. I had to under clock my memory(368) to get it to run stable. My bios is the latest MSI one 1.D. I am running with voltage at stock 1.37. I did not know what to do with the voltage as there are several settings for voltage in the bios and I did not know which one to adjust. My XP-90C has a medium to low speed Panaflo fan on it. It has no RPM sensor on it. I hooked the tornado up and it really did not help the temps at all. I am guessing that this is about as good as this system will get with this cooling.

All your help is appreciated.

rseven

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what you mean by underclocking your ram to 368. In your Dram Config in the bios under Max Memclock, you can pick 100, 133, 166, and 200. Did you pick 166? Also, what are you using to monitor your CPU temps? A higher speed fan should bring down the full load temps, buty the idle temps would probably not be effected. The vcore settings on this board are quite confusing. I wouldn't bother to change it until you are sure you've maxed out the CPU. One good thing about the board is it keeps a very stable voltage to the CPU even under a full load.

OP
C

chas1723

Registered
the 368 comes from me selecting 166 rather than 200 for the ram. It was running as ddr333 but when I increased the FSB it shows the memory at 368. My FSB is running at somewhere around 230-235. I am not on that computer right now or I could give you the exact speeds.
I can monitor my temps with Everest or the CPUID HM.

Thanks for the help.

rseven

OK, now I understand exactly where you are at, thanks. I would suggest that you slow the ram down even more, to 133 in the setting, on a temporary basis. The reason is to take the ram out of the mix and find out how high the CPU can go. Later you can bring the ram back up to the 166 setting. Next, you can try a small amount of extra vcore. In the bios set Adjust CPU Vid to 1.45 and set CPU voltage to over 3.3%. This should bring your vcore up to about 1.42. If it doesn't then try raising the Adjust CPU Vid up to 1.45. Both of these settings in the bios, CPU Voltage and Adjust CPU Vid, help to control the vcore, but there is no rhyme or reason to how they work, so you must play with them to get the voltage you are looking for. I suggest saving the settings in the bios and then booting back into the bios to see what you have till you get it right. Once you have a modest bump in vcore, then slowly raise the HT(formerly FSB) a little bit at a time and check for stability.

Good luck with it.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

calvin

180's have high probability to reach 3.0 or even 3.1. Vcore setting is the key parameter IMO (and appropriate mem settings of course). To get my 170 running stable at 3.0 required 1.50v.

rseven

A 10% voltage bump on air is quite a bit, but I would take it there slowly checking for stability and temp. Also, the Neo2 tends to report temps on the high side. My Opti 144 is only getting 1.32 vcore and yet it hits 50 degrees from just opening a program and 60 under full load.