• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 or 940?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXCeSS

My friend has a LOT of dough to get rid of on a new mobo/ram/cpu setup and I was looking into hooking him up with an AMD64 setup since that’s what he wanted, but I notice there are 2 AMD FX - 53's same price, same everything really except socket.

I'm puzzled and not sure of which to get, could someone advise me please?

Goldstandard

Get the 939, the 940 requires registered ram which is more expencive and hurts performance. However since the technology is new reliablity is rather hit or miss. People seem to be having the most luck with nf3 250 boards. Do a lot of research to find out which ones are best. If you can find one that can hit the high bus speeds, get some good memory like ddr500 or even 550. The current Athlon 64's aren't super duper overclockers like the pentiums can be, so fast memory is where you can probably get the most performance.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I would go with 939 also, because it is newer and thus the way forward AMD-CPUwise.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
David said:
I would go with 939 also, because it is newer and thus the way forward AMD-CPUwise.
No, not quite. It's not "the way forward" if you you're building a server. 940 isn't an obsolete socket, it's just not designed for the mainstream. So, 939 it is, especially since you can use regular unbuffered memory.