• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

95 to 2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennieboyq

Registered
ok...heres the deal....my aunt asked me to build her a new computer with one catch....she wants most of the old documents and stuff to that sort....now im going to put 2k pro on it, and the old files are 95....so will they trasfer and where is all of her internet favorites and address book and stuff like that???? on the hdd or on the netscape network.??? thanks in advance:D

If she is using netscape all you need to do is go into the program and in the users file just save the entire folder that is named for her profile. Then when you instal netscape on 2k just use the same version and profile name and then copy over. It will save all of her stuff and settings just like that. Your files will work depending if the programs run. Word files will be fine, again version to version. The problem that yo are going to have may be that some of those old win95 programs wont run on 2k, but otherwise you should be fine

many programs wont run on 2k, its a new file system (NTFS) and a much improved kernal, goodluck getting some of that old software to run...just one question why run 2kpro for a "aunt" thats a pretty un-user friendly operating system compared to say xp home...just a thought.. she could be tech savy but if shes running 95 my guess is she isnt a supageek like us :D

CyberFed said:
many programs wont run on 2k, its a new file system (NTFS) and a much improved kernal, goodluck getting some of that old software to run...just one question why run 2kpro for a "aunt" thats a pretty un-user friendly operating system compared to say xp home...just a thought.. she could be tech savy but if shes running 95 my guess is she isnt a supageek like us :D

You can install 2k using FAT32. You should if you need win95 files transferred and used.

zuck i like the way you think....yea thats a really good idea...umm i can have the 2k disk and it was cheaper than xp so thats what i told her i was going to use...umm anyway thanks

By default, I always install 2K with FAT32, then when I have everything working properly, I convert to NTFS.

I loaded my bros computer with 2K, since he really didn't need the file security features and I didn't want to explain it to him so I left it in FAT32.

squatch3858 said:
i think you would be better off with xp versus 2k it's a more stable OS plus it's not as slow as 2k

I have had a different experience with the two operating systems, 2K ran much faster on my old system. When I put XP on it (xp1600+ with 512 ram) it ran very slow and unstable. My 2K pro was also more stable than XP pro was on that machine.

On my current rig XP Pro runs pretty decent, but this rig is a bit speedier than my old Athlon. My .02.

squatch3858 said:
i think you would be better off with xp versus 2k it's a more stable OS plus it's not as slow as 2k

dude are you kidding? 2k slow? i have had much better experience with 2k over xp i know some people on this forum tweak xp to run as well as 2k but it will never beat the out of the box performance of 2k ....but sorry 2k and xp are both built on the nt kernal so ummm they are basically the same os with subtle differences

Back