• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 BE way too hot before even overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reseat the heat sink. Even with stock cooler. It should not be running that hot!. Mine on idle reachs 40 degrees with a 30Degree ambient with stock cooler.

Oh wow, just cleaning a bit with a dry cloth and blowing on the fans a bit (don't have any form of compressed air on hand atm), made a night and day difference :)

Especially with the core temperatures, but I think it went down 20 degrees on average at the very least. Just tried prime95 right now, and the highest it's gotten to was 57 celcius, while it seems to average out on 55.

For example, that terrifying 87 degrees on the cores after just 2 tests in prime is now 57 max after completing all of them. I don't really have the time to let it run for hours, but it's an amazing improvement nonetheless.

comparison pics in attachment.

So, if I want to get to 3.6 or 3.8GHz, I'll still need an aftermarket cooler right? Or does it seem doable with the way it's running now?

Oh, and update about the fans,while opening it up to clean, I saw 3 fans aside from the one on the processor, so I think I'm good there :)

Images left to right:
before cleaning, no tests
after cleaning, no tests
after cleaning + prime95 blend completed test with no errors or warnings

Attachments

• CaptureTempsBeforeCleaning.JPG
    CaptureTempsBeforeCleaning.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 34
  • CaptureTempAfterCleaning.JPG
    CaptureTempAfterCleaning.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 33
  • CaptureTempsAfterPrime.JPG
    CaptureTempsAfterPrime.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 33
So, if I want to get to 3.6 or 3.8GHz, I'll still need an aftermarket cooler right? Or does it seem doable with the way it's running now?

You are already at the 55 C max core temp threshold we preach around here. Yes, you need an aftermarket cooler.

Excellent work! Yes I would highly suggest an aftermarket cooler. You may be able to get to around 3.6ghz on the stock cooler without touching the core voltage; if you're lucky. But a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would do you well ^^.

But great work; yeah dust makes a HUGE difference. I had a OCZ Vendetta 2 on my old X3 720 at stock; a decent enough heatsink; and my temps were hitting 52 on full load at stock.. A quick clean and reseat of the heatsink saw a drop of 9-10 degrees. 42-43 was then my max ^^. You'd be amazed what dust buildup can do.. Lol.

@Jeffmeister

Well yeah, but since I'd need to get that thermal compound thing anyways (am I supposed to have gotten some of that along with one of the components? Might have to check some boxes...), I figured I might as well get a better cooler along with it. But I can't just go buy those right away, I'll probably need to wait a couple of days before I can get either.

Well, I live in Belgium, pretty sure we don't have those stores around here '^^ (I'll add that to my profile, guess that's handy for people to know when suggesting stores and stuff)

That's not to say that I wouldn't be able to find the stuff I need easily, I just have to study for exams atm, so I can't really go out to buy stuff unless I'm already out for something else. No shops close enough without taking the train either...
Also, if I get another cooler soon, reseating the old, stock one before then is a bit of a wasted effort right?

I understand now. It could or could not be a wasted effort. It doesn't take more than 5 mins and who knows what if it takes you longer to get that cooler than you think?

Last edited:
:thup: For reals!!!

However I hear these chips can take up to 99C before frying and AMD has a shut off at 95C soo.. from the tests and these high temps I can say these Phenom II X4's are beasts!
Yes +,
2 days ago, I ran my Phenom II x2 555 BE(unlocked to Phenom II x4 55BE) at 81 degree for about 1 hour on stock heatsink while running on Prime95. I was scared that CPU might have gone, But no,
They are great. I locked the cores back and just OCed to 3.8 GHz and is running great. Its scary but i saw that these Phenom II babies dont get fried on upper 80's. This doesnot mean that you want to let it go that way.
I might get CM hyper 212 Evo and try to unlock the cores and bump it to 3.8.

Drosera

Back