• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600k Very strange issue when stress testing with latest version of prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johncammer96

Registered
Ok so to make it short I’ve been stress testing my 9600k with P95 version 29.4.7.0 at 4.8ghz vcore set at 1.330 with loadline on mode 5 so vdrop brings my voltage down to 1.312 under load. (board is msi MPg z390 gaming pro carbon AC) I have a big noctua NH-D15s package temp around 80 85c during test and when I complete the first set of tests (7 I believe) everything’s ok except worker 2 has an error but after the second test starts my cooler actually starts to VIBRATE!?? So I instantly shut off the test and it stops,temps haven’t got any hotter fans are not the issue with the vibration it’s only when I get to this point of the test that I see this frickin thing vibrate??! Is this something normal under extreme load?? I can find anything online about this! Oh and I was testing with Small FFTs

Last edited:
1. You arent stable if you are dropping a worker.
2. What happens in the system at that time? Do temps skyrocket causing the fan to vibrate?

Let's slow down a bit, observe, think, and share...

1. You arent stable if you are dropping a worker.
2. What happens in the system at that time? Do temps skyrocket causing the fan to vibrate?

Let's slow down a bit, observe, think, and share...

Well, I shut it off really quickly after that happened but at a glance in Hardware monitor I was at like 85c at 4.8 GHz no offset set voltage was around where i set it, I know its not the fans because i set them up to 100% and I did not get this vibration it's the strangest thing i've seen OC yet for sure. looking at it through the glass it literally vibrates at a speed that makes me think it has something to do with power delivery or something causing vibration kinda like how a coil vibrates when being used as a rectifier but Im not an electrical engineer so I really don't know but when it vibrates it moves back and forth like its a humingbird or something lol so yeah not really gona run that version of P95 ever again ha.

So... I'm confused. Is this a high pitched noise like coil whine or....?

no the actuall NH-D15s is vibrating happens only in Prime 95 Latest version nothing else i have done causes this ive never seen this happen ever and cant find anything about it online Update: ok so a certain speed my fans spin seem to cause this my curve between 80 and 85C is very drastic for fan speed so I think it was bouncing between 80 and 100% fan speed causing the vibration to appear so I'm NOT crazy lol, you were right about the fans, I though it was something on the board vibrating somehow that caused the heatsink to vibrate but it is the fans I have two of them on the NH D15s so I guess that can add to the vibration I was seeing so you were right!

Last edited:
no the actuall NH-D15s is vibrating happens only in Prime 95 Latest version nothing else i have done causes this ive never seen this happen ever and cant find anything about it online Update: ok so a certain speed my fans spin seem to cause this my curve between 80 and 85C is very drastic for fan speed so I think it was bouncing between 80 and 100% fan speed causing the vibration to appear so I'm NOT crazy lol, you were right about the fans, I though it was something on the board vibrating somehow that caused the heatsink to vibrate but it is the fans I have two of them on the NH D15s so I guess that can add to the vibration I was seeing so you were right!
I guess a real steep fan curve could cause the fan speed to oscillate a bit. CPU gets hot, it suddenly turns fan on full speed, CPU cools down and fan slows way down, CPU gets hot, fan goes full speed over and over. Perhaps flatten out the fan curve a bit so the increase in speed is more gradual.

Also, I wonder if you have an out-of-balance fan that, when running at full speed, causes vibration on its own. You could use fan speed override to try that out without any heat load involved just to verify that the fans run at full speed without any issue on their own.

Back