• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600xt or OC'd 9800se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Should i get a 9600xt or a 9800se, flash the bios and OC it?
or i guess what im trying to say is what is the best card for under 200$

Hmm, that depends on your chances of getting a good softmod on the SE. If it modded ok, then without a doubt, it would kill the 9600XT.

Otherwise they are probably not that different performance wise <-----------------just an educated guess.

not to thread jack but I was wondering where you get the 9800se AIW, and does it support dual monitors like the 9600 AIW?..

Anyway my input to your situation would be to get a 9700np or p. If you lounge around newegg refurbs you can score one for around 160, or look for someone selling one used in FS/FT forums. I don't believe the XT's are really worth it honestly. There the exact same architecture, just slightly slower speeds, the advantage over a pro is only 5-10% at most, and when OCing the two cards the 9600p should have more headroom so the difference will be more around the 5% mark.

If your set on those 2 options I'd go with the 9600XT though, a 9800se that doesn't softmod is worthless.

See this review at Hexus.net - appears that 9600XT and 9800SE perform on a par with each other, but successful soft mod blows away the XT!
I've just bought an Asus 9600XT but if I'd know about the 9800SE softmod before I might have bought it instead...

Can't the 9800SEs with 128-bit memory still be theoretically softmodded to give a 9500pro-ish thing?

yep, you can... but it's depends on your luck if you can success or not...

to me.. i would much prefer the 9800SE.. because i would assume it has more headroom to overclock than the 9600XT

More headroom?

Heck ive had my XT up to 580 core and at 351.5 memory and still NO artifacts. Im very sure i have A bit more headroom with this thing.

Harry

Back