• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970, 1070, or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I5 4690k @4.2, 12 ram. I want to be able to play games at highest settings at 1080 for a good few years, or at least without upgrading my cpu. Looking at buying a 4k tv and gaming with this, only I think the 970 is only able to do 4k at 30hz and you lose a lot of color or something? I've only ever bought video cards around the price of a 1060, bought a radeon 290 second hand but wasn't very happy with how most games seem to run like crap with amd unless you wait 6 months for patches. Will either nvidia card be able to send a 4k, 60hz signal for gaming to a 4k tv? I read somewhere that you need displayport, and not many tv's have them.

Also, I know the quality difference with 4k is negligible until you get close to the screen, that's why I'm only 3 feet away from my 50" :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
12GB of RAM???

As Jeff said, any of the new cards will be able to send the signal there (as can the 970 at 60Hz AFAIK). The problem comes when trying to play a GAME at 4K with a card less than a 1080... Many titles will play ok without AA (which look a lot better than no AA at 1080p). I play BF4 at Ultra (2xMSAA), and Doom (Ultra no AA). Battlefront Ultra no AA... etc. It is plenty playable on those titles.

Anyway.. start here and see: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/8.html

Rydis

I got the 1070, upgraded from an r9 390, which is just about same performance as a 970.

And im glad I got the upgrade. I have a 4k free-sync monitor and the 390 had a hard time doing most games at 1440, and almost no game at 4k. However, the 1070 can handle 1440p just fine.

So while the 1080 still struggles to get a good consistant ultra settings at 4k, you can settle at 1440 on ultra on just about every game (with limited AA, but not as needed either 2x seems just fine). I even gave up using free-sync when I got the 1070 and I have no regrets about it.

We are still quite a ways off of getting 4k down on highest settings that isn't just bank breaking (maybe two 1080s??) But 1440 is really nice on ultra as well. Still huge difference from 2k.

If you plan to go 4k, or even 1440..you wont be to happy with a 970.