• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 Cooling mod questions! Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stumpjumper5200

Ok, I'm in the mood for tearing up my 9700 so I can put some decent cooling on it. Tachyon has put their own cooling on a 9700 and are selling the things with a 400mhz core! Well once I heard that, I need a 400mhz core too! :D

So, can anyone comment on the difficulty of this project (tearing off the stock hsf, cleaning the stock thermal interface material, GETTING THAT SHIM OFF)? BTW, how do you get that shim off?? I've never done any kind of mod like this where there's a possibility of destroying hardware. :/

Also, I would probably get this kit here:
http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/51/394.htm?563
Is this a good choice? And with the crystal orb, would I need to use the arctic adhesive on it, or would it be okay with AS3 and using the 2 pins to hold it on?

Thanks

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Firstly to get the Heatsink off you need to use the old freezer method, place your card in an anti-static bag and freeze it for 30 mins.
Then place a credit card on the PCB to protect it and pry the Heatsink off with a screw-driver.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of buying a 9700 so I cannot tell you anything about the shim, whether it comes of or stays on is a mystery to me. I'd suggest you just clean it up with Isopropyl Alcohol.

The kit looks good but I'm not to sure about the Crystal Orb, I recommend the Cooljag Heatsink and fan, its available from www.1coolpc.com.

I would recommend using the Tabs to clip the Heatsink on with AS3 if you decide to go for the Crystal Orb (which as mentioned on the link fits perfectly), however if you go for theCooljag, Arctic Alumina may be the only option due to the lack of mounting holes.

Either is fine, the Crystal Orb would be much simpler to install and it comes in that kit but if its better temperatures your after then the Cooljag would have to be your best choice.

Good Luck!
M_N

OC Noob

You need to use Nail polish remover to get the adhesive off. I tried Iso Alcohol and it didn't work well. Do the final cleaning with Iso Alcohol tho.