• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 for 200$ from reliable retailer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I gave them a call earlier today to find out the maker of the card and they said it was Sapphire. I dont know that much about video cards, so could anyone tell me if that is a reliable brand?

A lot of people are skeptical about Sapphires, which are made in the same plant as PowerColors (or so I've heard). Its a cheap brand that, IMO, isn't worth getting.

You can buy an ATi made 9700 for 2 dollars more.. don't get the big deal about how pricewatch and froogle 'can't beat this price' when its 2 dollars more for a reliable product (ATi built).

What are you talking about!? Sapphire makes great ATi cards! I remember hearing that they make the Built By ATi version of cards.

Ffats said:
A lot of people are skeptical about Sapphires, which are made in the same plant as PowerColors (or so I've heard). Its a cheap brand that, IMO, isn't worth getting.

You can buy an ATi made 9700 for 2 dollars more.. don't get the big deal about how pricewatch and froogle 'can't beat this price' when its 2 dollars more for a reliable product (ATi built).

It's a hell of a lot more than 2$ more... like 50$ at least. And I don't know where you get your information on Sapphire...

i too heard that sapphire was the greater comapny and that powercolor was the lesser. i made a post asking exactly which of the 2 were better. can anyone give a length of time which this offer is valid? i plan on doing this in about 3 weeks pending my paycheck.

Hmm, hardware prices are hard to determine how long they stay at a certain price. I could go down farther, but it could go back up.

You can't really perdict a price at a certain time.

Ffats said:

Pay no attention to that post!

SAPHIRE MAKES NEARLY ALL OF ATI'S "BUILT BY ATI CARDS"

Always wanted to make a post all in Cap's:D

Krowa 02 said:
Any more info on these cards yet? Ive been looking around didnt find anything.

I just ordered one last night. It's being shipped 3 day air so it should be here Friday. I'll let you know the results. The website says it's an ATI card, but if it's a Saphire then no problem there, as long as it's not a Powercolor I'll take my chances with it.

TheGame240
have you recieved the card ?? and how is it if u did?
please inform me cause i might get one..

I would have jumped on that card in a flash

When I needed one fast and bucks were low, I grabbed a Radeon Ati 9500pro on sale. BUT, to make me feel better, my pard RadMan put in the 3.4 cats (3.5 is out now? or so Rad tells me). He also voltmodded the core and mem with a fixed resistor setup (one with grabbers) and soldered the other. We then placed heatsinks on the ram, put a waterblock on the gpu and placed a small fan on the side to give those ram heat sinks a good blowjob. Core at 355/650 Mem...

Score? 15,551! (3dmark01) We still have room and I will give him my right (but bad) eye (lmao) if we can get over 16000. So, I guess I don't feel so bad now. My next one will be the 9800pro (256ram) and I will play till dawn with my latest max payne.

I guess I don't feel as bad now!

Happy trails

Tweaker:D:cool:

Last edited:
Card finally came in. After some initial setbacks, it's up and running. First I forgot to flash bios before installing my Barton processor. So after swapping out processors and flashing and then reswapping processors I started with finding the max stable processor speed.

Well at 133 or 166FSB the card was fine, but at 200FSB I didn't get any video during post. After reading several forums and articles I decided it was either 8X AGP, voltage needed increasing, Fast Writes, or just a bad card since I already had the latest bios for the MB. Turned out it was just 8X AGP needed to be disabled so anyone who's considering any R300 based cards should probably turn off 8X since there's nothing to gain by it and a lot of trouble getting it off once it's on. I had to reinstall by GF4 to get into the bios to try turning it off.

Anyway it comes with 3.3ns Infineon ram, not the best, but for 2 bills I'm not going to complain. Someone said it's a Saphire card, but there are no markings on it saying one way or the other and since ATI and Saphire cards look alike I couldn't tell you which one it is. I went ahead and flashed it with the pro bios made for Infineon ram. That's as far as I've pushed it, but I can safely say mine runs at Pro speeds with just a bios flash and I have no visual errors. Looped 3dmark03 for 4 hours with no tearing or lockups, so I'd say those speeds at least are stable. I have no desire to push it any further at the moment. Maybe when D3 or games based on the D3 engine emerge I'll have a reason to need more, but for now Pro speeds are enough.

sounds like a pretty good card

somone in another thread got his pretty high. But you said you havn't tried anything higher than pro speeds.......

Back