• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 non pro is clock locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I bought a second hand ATI 9700 non pro with L shaped memory and red PCB. I tried clocking it and no matter what speed i push it to i always get roughly 10000 3dmark01se score. I thought about flashing it to a pro but seeing as i couldnt see anything about anyone else doing it i assumed it wasnt possible. I did find a BIOS on rage3d tweak forums which is apparently editable with radedit, so i downloaded that and flashed it to my card but even with this BIOS i get 10000 3dmark scores with stock of 276/270 or even if i push it to 320/320 its exactly the same. Also it shows in device manager and ati control panel as a 9700 pro now which confused me as im sure this BIOS is made for 9700 non pro. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the problem?

Lejend

This is a guess, but it might be thermal throtling. If the card gets too hot, it take a few cycles off to cool down, resulting in a lower benchmark score. You might get better results if you had a good gpu heatsink on it.

OP
Bigdogbmx

Bigdogbmx

Well last night i flashed the card to a 9700 pro to see what would happen and it basically changed the clock defaults to 324/310 (620 ddr). Even at those speeds i STILL score about 10000 3dmarks :mad:. But at least now i know that clocking it actually works as i tried pushing ram speed to 324 and it got artifacts. All i can think of now is that my CPU is a bottleneck cos its running at 133 x 10.5 (1600xp). When i get a more OC friendly motherboard ill push the CPU back up to 2ghz ish and see what happens with 166fsb.

f00t

run 03 at stock and oc since it is mostly vid card dependant

OP
Bigdogbmx

Bigdogbmx

I cant OC this motherboard otherwise i would try. Last time i just bumped FSB up to 150 and it killed my cd writer and wrecked all the data on my hard disk.

OP
Bigdogbmx

Bigdogbmx

Sorry I just noticed u said run 03 lol, ill give that a try now. What kind of score should I expect roughly for a non pro?

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Yeah, your system is really limiting you in 01. I've got a similar system, and it's even limiting on my 03 score :( Based on the data Futuremark has, it looks like your system should pull off somewhere from 4300 to 5000 3DMarks (likely 4500s) with your card flashed to a Pro.

JigPu

OP
Bigdogbmx

Bigdogbmx

HAI SEAL !!!!!111oneonetwenteen
Well i realised today that changing my FSB jumper to 166 doesnt fry my pci bus like leaving the jumper on 133 and clocking from bios does,(god this mobo sucks) so i got 12000 odd in 01se now and 4600 in 03. Bit more satisfactory :) Although in 03 in the second CPU test i had literally 1fps for some of it lol.