• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 pro stuck on AGP 4X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony77

Registered
any idea how to switch 4X to 8X? My Nforce2 A7N8X deluxe is able to support 8X but im getting unually low 3Dmark scores for my setup, and the only differents i cant find when comparing to similiar rigs is that my profile says i have 4X set with both 4X and 8X available while the other person with 4000 more points has 8X set with 4X and 8X available. please help

PreservedSwine

Have you tried smart-gart? what drivers are you using?

Also, the performance difference is not going to be agp4x vs agp8x. The difference in perrformance is about 1%.

OP
T

Tony77

Registered
are you sure? so its not worth trying to figure it out? if it only adds 1% why is it even such a big deal?

my setup should be pulling in at least 16000

Fever

What exactly IS your setup?

Have you installed your motherboard's drivers?

And you won't see a difference between 4x and 8x right now. Once games like Doom3 start coming out you might, but nothing big really.

PreservedSwine

Tony77 said:
are you sure? so its not worth trying to figure it out? if it only adds 1% why is it even such a big deal?

Yes, I'm sure....and 1% is a conservative estimate. The difference may well be even less.

It's only a big deal if you haven't done any re-search on the issue. I mean, hey, 8x has got to be twice as much an 4x, right? WRONG! It's just marketing BS. It's not a bottleneck on any card w/ 64MB of memory or more.

Maybe if you had a card w/ 8MB or 16MB of memory, it *might* perform a little better on agp8x, but the real difference is going to be PCI express.

spiritedandy

Premium Member
this happend to me i lost 8x and in that smart thingy it said 4x
i know it should not make much dif but it sure did by thousands of pionts ?i could not get it back had to format everything.....it all started with the new 3.4 cat

PreservedSwine

spiritedandy said:
this happend to me i lost 8x and in that smart thingy it said 4x
i know it should not make much dif but it sure did by thousands of pionts ?i could not get it back had to format everything.....it all started with the new 3.4 cat

Had you ever tried installed OMEGA's drivers. They have been automatically disabling smart-gart- which leads to they type of 4x vs 8x agp problem, Even though, that WILL NOT cause a drop in your performance. If you've ever attempted to install Omega's drivers, that is likely why you lost the ability to run AGP8x.

If you have better performance after reformatting, it should be obvious the re-formatt cleaned things up, not the difference between AGP4x vs 8X.

Don't believe me? Run some benchies on AGP4x, and tell me the difference:)

Last edited: