• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 shim removal ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemetron

Registered
how the f*** am I supposed to remove that thing. . I've read so many threads about people removing it. .. how am I supposed to do this ?? I've tried so many things. .. sharp blades etc ?? is there any procedure .. do you start at one corner ?

pls help .. I've tried so many things that I am now frustrated !!!!

thanx

OP
N

Nemetron

Registered
now. .. heres wat I have done.. .
I've got a alpha pal 6035 on the radeon 9700 pro chip ... wat I did was used a thick layer of as3 between the chip and the core
and artic alumina adhesive to stick the heatsink to the chip ..
everythings okay .. it's making proper contact etc ..

now I have moved to a water cooling system ... and well since the heatsink is stuck to the shim .. if I remove the shim the heatsink should come off ..
that's wat I thought ...

so now I'm trying to remove the shim .. cause removing the heatsink first is gonna be real difficult. .
come on and help guys !! please

Disabled
all i did to remove the shim was gently push a razor under one corner and lift. I repeated for all corners and it came off. The epoxy used to hold the shim on is really weak so you really shouldn't have any trubbels

OC Noob

I've heard you can heat the AA up with a blow dryer and then just pull off the heatsink. I haven't done it yet, because overclocking just hasn't yield very good results. Upping CPU speed has yielded much better results.