• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700Pro is gonna fry soon, what should I get? FX5900XT???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4megaserver

Registered
I currently have a ATi 9700Pro thats been in my system for about 6 months. I bought it on eBay used so I dont know the history of the card past 6 months ago. It's done me very well up until last night when it started acting up. When I scroll down pages in internet explorer it puts tracers on some stuff and only does it some times. I know its not a software problem, I havent changed anything or installed anything new in the last week! The drivers are the same that I've had for atleast 2 months and they havent given me any trouble, so I dont think its that either. My best guess is this thing is just about to shoot craps! I overclocked it right when I got it, but never even maxed it out and ended up just putting it back to stock that same day, so it hasnt seen any stress like that either.

Anyway...to my real question. I want to get a new card and have recently bought a Nvidia Ti4600 for my side-kick machine, and was really impressed with its clarity and preformance. I've always been an ATi guy, but after seeing the Nvidia that was that old look that good I'm sold! Ive been looking and I can't really spend over $225 on a card and all I see in that range on ebay is FX5900XT's and 5700 Ultra's. I also posted a question on what the best brand of Nvidia cards was when I was looking to buy my Ti4600 and everyone said MSI, BFG, and VisionTek were the best. Here are some link I found for the best prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5108243796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5104253166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Tell me what is best for the money and if any of these cards are worth the money??? What should I expect to see vs. my 9700Pro?

EvilCow123

Registered
G4's are the exception, they blow all the midranged cards away, but don't let that fool you, Nivida GF5's didn't do as well as their previous cards have. Try to get a GF6 if you can.

Burnt_Ram

EvilCow123 said:
G4's are the exception, they blow all the midranged cards away, but don't let that fool you, Nivida GF5's didn't do as well as their previous cards have. Try to get a GF6 if you can.
i agree, you can get a 6800 at a very reasonable price now. and the regular 6800 will eat the 5900's ! they even beat the 9800XT's and in some test's they even beat the x800 pro's aswell. now the GT's and Ultra's they really kick butt