• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

980 SLI to 1080 SLI or Single 1080Ti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

Current setup listed in signature. Looking for max performance in games with quality all of the way up.

Frames are very rollercoastery in The Division, for me, atm. Not sure if it's an issue with SLI support or if these cards are just getting really taxed in this title?

It runs BF4 @ at least 140+ frames, so its super smooth on my panel.

Also, I am interested in doing an ultrawide or 4k, high frame, display at some point in the future.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Didn't we cover this a short time ago?
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/774644-What-to-replace-2-980-s-with

They shouldn't be having issues in The Division. A single 1070 (a bit faster than a single 980Ti) easily handles it (check out some reviews). Must be SLI there or something else.

If I was you and 4K was in your future, I would hold on to these and grab a single 1080Ti when it comes out (they are still only 60Hz)...

OP
n7plus1

n7plus1

damn, im quite embarrassed i forgot about that thread i made...though it was asked under a different build at the time. :p

I have the opinion that the more frames, the better...instead of more real-estate.

It doesnt sound like 4k above 60fps comes cheap.

Im kindve stuck deciding where i want to be panel wise, in which, both options are stupidly expensive. Ultra wide or 4k. Im leaning towards 4k but the displays above 60hz coming out are going to be insanely pricey.

Im sure you've seen this

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/asus-computex-2016-27-inch-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor/

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wouldn't go ultra wide... seems to be a 'kick' lately, but the problem comes with titles that may not support the resolution won't scale and look right (stretched). Its just not common enough FOR ME to consider anything outside of the typical 1080p, 2560x1440, or 4K UHD.

Theocnoob

I agree with these guys. 4K is nice but what's really nice is 1440P with super high framerates via G-Sync. At 27", 1440P is a nice resolution, and high refresh is a great thing to have, especially if you play twitchy shooters or other games that rely on fast reflexes. I have the Dell S2716DG and I think it's great. It has super low response time and input lag and is 165Hz capable and has G-sync. It's TN but it's gorgeous TN.