• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 heat sink fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

I have a 9800 and i'm planning to use a Zalman zm80a. If the performance is not sufficient, i will simply put back the original HSF. If i remember correctly, the GPU of the radeon 9700 was a little bit lower than the outer shim. Now, i want to minimize the probability of warranty voiding and not make any major mod (no tearing off this shim...)

So the questions are:
1) Is the GPU of the 9800 lower than the outer shim, like the one of the 9700?
2) If so, what thermal paste/pad would you recommend to put back the original heatsink fan? Where to buy it?

q149

I am not sure about the shim thing but somebody got an Iceberq 4 and put it on thier 9800 and got a faster core OC... This heatsink you are getting is supposed to be better so you should be fine.. i would put a fan on it though.
The best thermal pad are the ShinEtsu ones.. they are even supposed to be better than AS3 in alot of casese. You can get them at www.sidewindercomputers.com but i think they may be out of stock.

Bman1238

Disabled
if you are putting back, the stock HSF, you do not have to worry about it not coming in contact with the die. If you have the BB ATI R9800, then you should have no problems due to the fact that there is a special part on the HSF that is raised off the bottom specifically to ensure full contact. As far as i know, the R9800,s die is exactly level with the shim, it is on mine anyway.