• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800GX2 No signal to monitor, dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brads900

Registered
Just bought a second 9800GX2 for quad SLI, However when i run them in SLi only my original one is seen, and when i try to run off the new one i get no display, the fans power up on full speed but then do not slowdown how they do on my other card, also the blue light on the front is not showing, the manual says this means it is not the primary display card and should not be on in Quad Sli, however it should be when i run it on its own.

All power leads are connected correctly,

Specs:

Asus Striker 2 780i Chipset
Intel Q9550 @ 3.8 GHz
Corsair XMS2 DDR2-6400 4GB
Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU
Antec 1200 (cant imagine it being a overheating problem)

Thats about it, Bios is the latest version. i have tried both PCI-E 2.0 Slots to no avail,

Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

OP
B

brads900

Registered
I have done that, and got the same results. i have looked on other forums and they said the ribbon cable connecting the two internal cards could be loose so jsut looked at that but all seems okay

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
So checking the SLI ribbon, checking power connections and the fact you already tested the secondary card in the primary PCIE slot and it does not power on is a clear indication that video card is defective.

Can you test that video card in another pc to be sure?

OP
B

brads900

Registered
was not expecting that, just tried it in my other pc and booted up fine. blue LED came on and so did screen straight into windows no problems.

thought it was a faulty card and was looking for conformation, now i cant understand why its not working in my pc?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Hmm, really odd. Ok, so it worked in the other pc no problem. Install it back in your pc. Be sure the card is inserted all the way down into the primary PCIE slot.

Sometimes, depending on the case, the card will tilt and it will not sit flush into the slot thus preventing it from making a proper contact.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
okay ill try that now, ill clear Cmos as well to make sure that isnt the issue

ALso I forgot to ask: when you install the card, does the slot cover line up with the hole for the screw? If it's off by alot, once you start to screw it down, the back of the card where the PCIE slot is will lift. This is what I mean about the card not seating properly into the slot.

If this happens you might have to bend the card's slot cover forward with pliers to have it align with the mounting hole.

OP
B

brads900

Registered
im on laptop now so i can update you as im changing things, just tried it in primary and secondary slots and still same error, i have noticed though that it posts okay and i can hear windows logging in etc, strange. the slot cover seems to be okay, its slightly out but not by more than i would expect. if it would help i could send a picture comparing the working and non working 9800gx2 slot covers?

OP
B

brads900

Registered
definitly not the slot covers affecting the seating in PCI slot as i just swapped it with the working one and it hasnt made a difference.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Would it be feasable for you to return the card and swap it for another one? Me thinks it could be a compatibility issue with that brand/card and your motherboard.

OP
B

brads900

Registered
id prefer not to but obviously if there is no other option i shall have to. do u not have any other ideas what it could be then?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I'm sorry no. I've checked evrything that would cause this type of problem. If the card works in another system without issues, yet fails to work in your system, then it's a compatibility issue. It happens with memory modules as well.

Your best bet is to swap the card or swap motherboards. No other solution to this particular problem I'm afraid.

freeagent

The same thing happend with my 295. You will notice the problem progressively get worse. (No blue light)

You have to RMA the card. Or wait until its completely dead, wich should take 2-4 weeks :salute:

OP
B

brads900

Registered
oh really? yeah its the exact same thing not working at all now, crap thing. oh well RMA should have a new one soon!