• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro or wait for pci express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

i got a $150 gift certificate to best buy and a few hundred dollars, do u think it would be worth it to get a 9800pro now or wait for pci express? im stuck with a gf4 4600 until then

Ri0_6667

I think Pci express is a load of crap, its just a bunch of extra bandwidth, and considering agp8x is nearly useless as is, I wouldnt wait on it.
However, I'm sorta in the same boat as you, I'm waiting for something a little more revolutionary than the 9800, I wish they'd hurry up before I spend my money :(

OP
Karbon

Karbon

i really want the $300 9800pro from bestbuy (its BBA right?)
im not sure how long i can take this torture without it :(

Compliance20

from what ive heard/read the new boards with pci express probably will have and agp card on them as well. i would just get thte 9800pro. Pci express isnt going to be out for awhile anway.

snvpa

I agree pci express won't be a big deal for another year. There won't be any mobo's with it till at least march maybe later and they'll have to work out some bugs i'm sure. Also from listening to conference calls from ati and nvidia i wouldn't expect nv40 and r420 to come out in february more like april, so if ya wanna play the waiting game you'll be waiting for a while. Maybe by april half-life 2 will finally be out. maybe then we'll get a game with a $450 vidoe card instead of a coupon.

Nanidin

If you can find a Best Buy employee willing to lend a helpin hand... their discount lands them the 9800 pro for 247 + tax (where I live at least). Pretty hot :D

Th0r

I would get it now.... Even when the next gen cards come out.... the R9800's won't come down in price for like a month still... Just buy now... there won't be any games in 2004!!! that will stutter with it...