• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

99.995% Pure Silver RBX (S-RBX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What about some other snapshots like the base? For all I know it could be aluminum :p j/k

nikhsub1 said:

Where? I have not seen a direct comparo of the RBX and the WW at all... not even a bad review (which most are anyway).

Do a search here and you'll find a few sites doing it. I would give the link if I had it but I got it from here.

Klownin79 said:

Well most already know the WW is not the best waterblock out there after all the best is the Cascade. According to some reviews tho the RBX did outperform the WW and came real close to the Cascade.

heh forgot about the cascade. Ok, so the WW is one of the highest performing blocks.

As for the tests that have been done by other sites concerning the WW, RBX, and Cascade, I don't care much to see them. The difference in performance amongst these blocks is too small for anything short of BillA type testing to really have a clear-cut winner. Even if JoeC did the testing I would still take it with a grain of salt.

If I bought something 99.995% silver, and it wasn't shaped like a ring, my wife would bury me in the back yard.

Cuda said:
If I bought something 99.995% silver, and it wasn't shaped like a ring, my wife would bury me in the back yard.
Hehe, silver is only like $5 an ounce. I would bet you would need about 12Oz for the RBX block so $60 for materials, maybe less.

nikhsub1 said:

Hehe, silver is only like $5 an ounce. I would bet you would need about 12Oz for the RBX block so $60 for materials, maybe less.

The base of the RBX is what? 10mm high. Have to mill out all the contours and the insides, so the raw block started with would be about 10mm x 80mm x 50mm, from which the block is cut from.

That's about bang on 1lb of silver by weight for something that size.

Given that probably more than half of that gets cut away....probably enough left over to make more than a few rings.

Silver does machine just so nicely though.

The RBX has always been a rip-off of the Litte River blocks from the start, they hopelessly trying to combine the micro channel and jet inpingement idea from Little River, and hoping they could make a decent block. Althought it might seem that the RBX could narrowly beat the White Water, the Cascade is still infront of the RBX. I mean look at the design of the RBX, it doesnt even fully cover the whole AMD chip, nor the IHS on the P4 (not that heat spreads to the full surface area of the famous idiot handling shield).

Now this new "Silver" block by Dangerden is even more of a rip off of the limited edition SS Cascade. It may seem that over in the US where the price of the Cascade would seem expensive (once you factor in shipping charges from AUS and everything else) then the RBX would be in favour of price. From the reviews that are out comparing the cascade, RBX and other blocks are highly biased in favour of the RBX.

the whole rip-off conversation is kinda off-topic, but buy using silver, they're not ripping off anyone. since carthar made the cascade ss is no one else allowed to to use silver? its called competition. it leads to lower prices, and better products. since water cooling is a nice hobby, and it seems to be an expanding one, there is going to be competition.

that said, i too would like to see joe c review the whitewater so we can get a good comparison

ps: i think it would look a lot sweeter with either chrome or black barbs.

Last edited:
Guys how bout we keep this thread on the new SIlver RBX and not about it being a knock off. After all it is a nice looking block and I'm sure it will do very well in cooling an OC cpu.

Its not the fact that they are using silver, it is the design that they are ripping off. I wouldnt buy a product coming from a company who steals ideas from another product, change the shape of the block and bit and re-label as their own. That is plain right dirty, I didnt think DD would stoop that low.

ridewitme said:
Its not the fact that they are using silver, it is the design that they are ripping off. I wouldnt buy a product coming from a company who steals ideas from another product, change the shape of the block and bit and re-label as their own. That is plain right dirty, I didnt think DD would stoop that low.
Way to go, another aussie standing up for Cathar. But like people have already said this is not the place to discuss the fact that of the RBX's similarity to the WW and Cascade

Guys, its sad, but nowadays its just a part of life, everythign gets ripped off. here you guys are complaining about this and you dont know the half of what else has happened to lrwb in the past. just dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do but complain.

Jon

Please, I have an overclocking addiction and would like to know how the silver block actually performs.

JFettig said:
Guys, its sad, but nowadays its just a part of life, everythign gets ripped off. here you guys are complaining about this and you dont know the half of what else has happened to lrwb in the past. just dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do but complain.

Jon
What a terrible attitude, if anyone here subscribes to OCAU then i would suggest you read this post. Basically it says that cathar (aka Little River) Is not going to continue to produse his WBs anymore because:
Cathar said:
It's not the selling of the blocks, it's the design rip-offs. Designing a block takes a fair amount of time and money. To then see someone come along and take it without needing to invest that time/money is disheartening.

As noted elsewhere, I can release a design that would equal both the RBX and WhiteWater, and cost half as much to make, but why would I want to in this climate? Just for someone else to take it, claim that "it would've been thought of eventually anyway" as a justification?

If you dont patent something then its free game. I understand patents are extremely expensive but you really cant complain that people are ripping off of a non patented idea.

madcow235 said:
If you dont patent something then its free game. I understand patents are extremely expensive but you really cant complain that people are ripping off of a non patented idea.

Patents simply protect that same idea, another company can COPY the idea, change it around and they claim its a totally new block, there is nothing stopping them. Little River is a 'hobby' of Cathar's, not meant to go into full production, but he has put lots of time, effort and money into creating the designs that made the white water and cascade unique. Dtek bought the idea, they didnt rob it from Cathar. DD have robbed the idea from the LR Cascade, and now the Dtek White Water, so legally Dtek could procede with legal action against DD, and if they won, it would work it Cathar's favour.

Cathar is now even considering giving up this hobby that made a revolution in waterblock design, If it werent for him we would still have a maze dominated market. So when the industry goes downhill, we know who to blame.

Alright incoming foot, listen here gents yes we all know that the RBX borrows from more than a few publicly trafficked ideas here on the internet, that is something that will remain between danger den and said individuals, not for us to fight amongst each other over. I for one would like to see how it performs and secondly would like to personally commend cather for not stooping to all of your levels. If the orginating designer is not going to sling mud all of you should follow suit. Can you hear me now ?

Keep up with the flaming and I will be handing out free three days passes to non existance. Enough with the flaming, it's christmas for crying out loud.

J :mad:

Back