• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

99.995% Pure Silver RBX (S-RBX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To be honest guys, I dislike all this argument. As much as I appreciate the support, it's not a battle to fight out in the forums as the bitterness it instills drags all of us down who are associated with it. I'm not thinking of giving up waterblock making solely because of the actions of any one person/company, but more due to personal reasons. What has happened has just been one of a pile of reasons. If anything, these sorts of things makes me more inclined to keep going, but there really are a host of other reasons that are totally unrelated to what is being discussed here.

I need a holiday.

Merry Christmas to all who care to celebrate it. Best wishes to everyone else in any event.

This crazy battle again? Both blocks, better yet, most of the top performers have something in common when it comes to design. I did a cupped design impingement block way before the cascade and cheaper to make. I stole the idea from some engineers cooling a component in a radar substation. I'd be even happier to give Cathar or DD my idea since i can't make any money worth feeding my kids with it. LOL The LRWW is what got me thinking about a strict impingement block. I also own nothing but DD water cooling products. My opinion is all blocks argued in here are great products.

Face it, it's like science. You learn from the people before you or you will never move forward.

Neways, I know dd blocks are great products but its super commercial its made to make money. I have a cascade SS ordered I ruined myself for it but if had the choice between S-Rbx and Cascade SS even if the cascade costs more I go LRWB all the way. Cathar prove to us that he was the best at what he was making and then with the customer service he give(I asked him like 10 questions in a week and he answered fast each time)I dont know why I would order from somebody else.
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy143 said:
Neways, I know dd blocks are great products but its super commercial its made to make money. I have a cascade SS ordered I ruined myself for it but if had the choice between S-Rbx and Cascade SS even if the cascade costs more I go LRWB all the way. Cathar prove to us that he was the best at what he was making and then with the customer service he give(I asked him like 10 questions in a week and he answered fast each time)I dont know why I would order from somebody else.
TheNewGuy

That is the spirit, buy genuine original.

For one thing there is nothing wrong with taking a good idea and Improving on it, It happens every day and we are the ones who reep the rewards. It's not wrong to take a proven good design and seeing if you can make it better. Dangerden has not ripped anyone off they are a damn good company, and I give them credit for trying to improve on a design in there own way. The RBX is a damn fine block as is the WW. BTW dude you are damn lucky that is a sweet @SS silver block :drool:

FIRESTARR357 said:
For one thing there is nothing wrong with taking a good idea and Improving on it

I hardly call the RBX an improvement over the Cascade, more like a fake. There is no improvement of the Cascade in the RBX, they have taken a well designed and performing block, and ruined it.

Well I guess there is no changing your ideas,but they didn't ruin anything. The RBX performs on par with the top of the line blocks and beats most of them, if thats a ruined crappy product whats your idea of a good one? Thats the bizz world you either stay competitive with every one else or you won't last long.

ridewitme said:

I hardly call the RBX an improvement over the Cascade, more like a fake. There is no improvement of the Cascade in the RBX, they have taken a well designed and performing block, and ruined it.

No where did he say anything about the Cascade. Also please try and listen to what are Mod SpeeDj said.

FIRESTARR357 said:
For one thing there is nothing wrong with taking a good idea and Improving on it, It happens every day and we are the ones who reep the rewards. It's not wrong to take a proven good design and seeing if you can make it better. Dangerden has not ripped anyone off they are a damn good company, and I give them credit for trying to improve on a design in there own way. The RBX is a damn fine block as is the WW. BTW dude you are damn lucky that is a sweet @ss silver block :drool:

I totally agree with everything you said.

Very nice block you have there Rokk :cool:

Cathar, I tip my hat. The view is so much better from the high ground. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Am still looking for results on the Silver. Am wondering if the nozzles might have a different impact when used with the silver medium.

Would a high pressure/high flow in line fuel filter aid in keeping the smaller nozzle holes from "plugging" up? Would an inline be too restrictive. 1oz rounds and 10 oz bars can be bought at fairly close to spot value so why are there not more home built blocks around using this medium? On relatively low pressure systems how does one design to allow for the the displacement of the water in the block so as to maximise the effect of a low flow high velocity impingement?

You guys are so hostile. I don't understand how someone can attach themselves so much to a hunk of metal. Its a tool not woman. Don't go into business or mainstream R&D, youll get eaten alive.

Back to the topic.

Rokk, will you be maiking any more of the silver RBX's? Or is it going to be more of a personal special project block?

If the first, are you thinking about letting someone like Joe C put one through its paces? I would love to see how the silver medium actual performs in a standardized test against the original.

For all the LR lovers out there (Cathar, my hats off to you. Best in the biz.) Is there someone who did a standardized test comparing a Cascade and a Cascade SS? Would be a similar comparison on how the medium effects performance.

Lastly, has anyone thought of getting ahold of some inidustrial black diamond brick to make one of these blocks out of? I know someone was experimenting with the material, it might have been on XS, I lost track of the article a long time ago. Though I know now wre talking about entering the wonderfull world of diminishing returns on ambient air.

Fushy: There will be a limited release of the S-RBX, I just don't know when or how much at the moment. But I would say it is safe to think that is will be soon after the 1st of the new year.

As for results... I will be testing it after X-MAS, just don't have the time or desire to do it now, (rather spend my vacation with my kids)

To OC cumminity: Have a safe and happy Holiday!!!

Re: reply

Rokk1972 said:
To OC cumminity: Have a safe and happy Holiday!!!
[off topic]

Rokk, gotta say you are a stand up kinda guy! After all the off topic mud slinging (myself included here) you respond like a true 'mench'. Happy Holiday's Rokk!

[/off topic]

Re: Re: reply

nikhsub1 said:

[off topic]

Rokk, gotta say you are a stand up kinda guy! After all the off topic mud slinging (myself included here) you respond like a true 'mench'. Happy Holiday's Rokk!

[/off topic]

I totally agree buddy. No need to get down and dirty.

Merry Christmas OC-Forums and Happy Holidays! :santa:

Merry Christmas all. 12 noon on Christmas day already here in Melbourne, Australia.

Silver said:
Cathar, I tip my hat. The view is so much better from the high ground. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Am still looking for results on the Silver. Am wondering if the nozzles might have a different impact when used with the silver medium.

Would a high pressure/high flow in line fuel filter aid in keeping the smaller nozzle holes from "plugging" up? Would an inline be too restrictive. 1oz rounds and 10 oz bars can be bought at fairly close to spot value so why are there not more home built blocks around using this medium? On relatively low pressure systems how does one design to allow for the the displacement of the water in the block so as to maximise the effect of a low flow high velocity impingement?

Okay, let's start by pointing out that silver has, depending on the purity of the copper and the silver being compared, between 6-12% better thermal conductivity than copper. Given the C110 grade copper (>99.9% pure) that most blocks are made from, and the pure fine silver (>99.99%) that the Cascade SS is made from, we could probably predict around 10% better thermal conductivity for the silver over the copper. It must be stated that we can never expect huge gains from such small differences. The physics alone tells us that anything more than a 1C difference will most likely be due to thermal probe error than anything else.

The Cascade SS uses a tweaked base configuration and tweaked jet nozzle configuration to make better use of silver's slightly higher thermal conductivity over copper. This allows one to realise the full gain of what silver has to offer over copper. Just doing a straight copper-replaced-with-silver block is likely to yield very minimal gain (<0.5C for a hot CPU). By redesigning the base/jets to account for the higher thermal conductivity, I was able to realise about a full 1C gain over the copper block, and also achieve a better overclock on 3 separate AMD Barton XP CPU's I tried it out on (+20MHz, +25MHz and +40MHz), which basically translates in theory as better hot-spot management for the CPUs, which tells a greater story than just the temperature gain alone.

Regarding water filters. I have two types of filters here:

filters.jpg

The clear plastic one is a Shurflo brand in-line strainer used for marine water systems. It costs around $10 US. The barbs can be changed to face any of the 4 directions, so it is very compact to use in-case, although it has moderate flow resistance.

The black one is a micro-irrigation filter. Very low flow restriction. It can be picked up for around $2-3 US at a HomeDepot or other hardware store that carries irrigation equipment. It's only drawback is its size, being about 8" (20cm) long.

Both filters do an excellent job of keeping crap out of fine waterblocks. The black irrigation filter will hold quite substantial amounts of debris before becoming restrictive.

The main issue with making blocks out of silver is not so much simply acquiring the silver, but acquiring it in the right shape/thickness so that it is not being wasted as it gets cut away. With the Cascade SS I had to import silver of the correct thickness as I was unable to find it in a suitable thickness here in Australia. The production of the SS "wastes" about 5% of the original silver piece, so it is a very efficient block to make in silver on that score. Largee, thicker and contoured blocks will waste considerably more material making the actual cost of the silver quite a deal higher than the weight of what remains in the final block's format.

With regards to low pressure vs high pressure, the best one can do here is a trade-off. It requires a very weak pump (~1W), or just a weak pump in a very high restriction setup, in order to not give a block like the Cascade enough pressure for it to do its job well. This is a relative thing though in that any other block you care to name when given the same weak pressure is likely to do a whole lot worse than the Cascade.

It is possible to better design waterblocks to perform better when presented with ultra-low flow rates/pressure, but this almost invariably comes at the expense of higher-end performance, so it's best to just design for the pumps that most people use (Eheim 1048 and better) and recommend that they use those pumps if they want to see the best of what's on offer. Can't win them all here. If you want high-end flow-pressure performance, you have to sacrifice some of the potential at the ultra-low end, and vice-versa.

Here's a semi related question, given that many people are concerned enough about clear tops to go with aluminum on top of copper, what happens when (if) someone were to have an aluminum topped silver sink? Has anyone ever done this before? I know the more alike metals are the less of a problem they will be when put together but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a site that has some pics up of the kind of stuff that can happen if you mix silver and aluminum, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Just past midnight here, Merry Chiristmas. :santa:

Copper and aluminium have a galvanic PD of around 0.65v

Pure silver and aluminium have a galvanic PD of around 0.85v, or even higher than copper/aluminium. If you were ever worried about aluminium before in your loop, then if you use silver, be very worried.

Galvanic differences of less than 0.25v are effectively safe, even without corrosion protection, in aqueous environments.

Back