• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$99 NEC 4x DVD -/+ RW @ Newegg!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

Nice price and find Mr. Chambers. As an OEM it does not appear to include any DVD software. Also, according to the customer reviews it may require a firmware update.

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

yeah i saw that too, NEC's site has loads of info, and all the nessecary firmware updates easily downloadable however, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

as for media, i usually stick with ritek anyway, so i havent had a problem with cheap stuff not working well.

as for software, there's plenty of free alternatives out there to say dvdxcopy, like:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/#

wannaoc

Just a heads up but I have seen an 8x for 132.00 in the paper this week. Speeds will be going up and prices down fast, remember when cd-rw were 100.00+? Nice deal if you need one now though.

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

well like anything computer related, the longer you wait, the less expensive it gets. what paper was that in? with or without rebates? what brand/model? i'd prefer a fairly name brand, or lite-on OEM...

as for the heads up, i already bought it earlier this evening :D no worries though, i told myself i'd pick one up as soon as newegg had them for under a 100 bucks. thx for the heads up though

larva

Inactive Moderator
The drives newegg is shipping are V1.08 firmware, and as such don't really need a firmware update. V1.09 was just realeased, which adds even more media support, not that I've see the media that the drive won't burn successfully with 1.08.

Drives are definitely getting cheaper, but this is one of the better 4x units and is a really nice piece for 100 bucks. If you have 140, they answer changes. But often increasing the budget 40% opens up new choices, so no huge surprise here.

Most drives that come with software come with Nero Express or something else equally limited. You are best to find your own software--and there are lots of very capable freeware programs out there. And the new Nero 6.3 Ultimate Edition really rocks, but this is not the Nero typically bundled with drives.

wannaoc

Drives are definitely getting cheaper, but this is one of the better 4x units and is a really nice piece for 100 bucks.

Agreed its just 4x is soooooo slow when they will be 24x+ in no time.

If I remember it was either CC, Staples, or BB as those were the only flyers I looked at yesterday and I'm pretty sure it was I/O Magic.

Pinky

wannaoc said:

I remember reading somewhere that 16x is going to be the ceiling for DVD writing.

Get your point though :).

rUfUnKy

wannaoc said:

a 4X DVD R ( - + ) Burner can burn a 4 gig DVD in about 15 minutes.. 4 X DVD is not the same as a 4 X CD-R (W)..

CrazyP

Pinky said:

I remember reading somewhere that 16x is going to be the ceiling for DVD writing.

Get your point though :).

yep 16 X is probably as fast as it will get. philips tested a 16 X drive which = to a 100X cdr drive I think. either way, thats why dvd read times have stayed the same for the pass couple of years, 16X

TheFrag

remember, the Aopen is not a dual format dvd burner. Just making sure people realize that.

polarys425

wannaoc said:
Just a heads up but I have seen an 8x for 132.00 in the paper this week. Speeds will be going up and prices down fast, remember when cd-rw were 100.00+? Nice deal if you need one now though.

my first 2x cdrw was $400

anvil82

The new 8x dvd burners I have seen only seem to support 8x for dvd+r only, not dvd-r.

I just got a dvd burner for christmas, and it's so awesome, it's dual format. I'd just get a 4x for now for the less money, as most media now is only 4x compatible anyhow. Late next year I think they will be releasing dvd9 burners, and then I hope we can do away with the whole dvd+r and dvd-r thing.

Maxvla

anvil82 said:
The new 8x dvd burners I have seen only seem to support 8x for dvd+r only, not dvd-r.

I just got a dvd burner for christmas, and it's so awesome, it's dual format. I'd just get a 4x for now for the less money, as most media now is only 4x compatible anyhow. Late next year I think they will be releasing dvd9 burners, and then I hope we can do away with the whole dvd+r and dvd-r thing.
i believe the 8x plextor is dual format.

i'm also shopping for a dvd burner and 4x will be fast enough for me. i'll probably get this nec drive.

rUfUnKy

Maxvla said:

i believe the 8x plextor is dual format.

i'm also shopping for a dvd burner and 4x will be fast enough for me. i'll probably get this nec drive.
I believe what he was saying is that the drive only supports writing speeds of 8X dvd+R and 4X dvd-r..

Maxvla

rUfUnKy said:

I believe what he was saying is that the drive only supports writing speeds of 8X dvd+R and 4X dvd-r..
oh. could be right. i haven't checked that closely cause its so expensive.