• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9900k high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I mean if he's at 85c he's gonna need more help then liquid metal. He's gonna seem maybe a 3-4c drop. That keeps him in the 80's. And won't net him the gain he wants. A delid may help with a 10c drop and get him closer be he needs a better cooling set up no way around that.

I hate to say it. But if you need more multi core gains and you can take advantage of more cores I would say sell your mobo and CPU and step into a 3900x. Your gonna see more gains on that. Single core with pbo and your cooler will be pretty much on par with your i9 but multi core that i9 gets decimated.

Personally this is what I would do.

Ek custom loop. One of the better 360 kits they sell. Then take your i9 find a peice of granite or marble slab. Lay some 1000-2000 git sand paper down. Dont use glass glass is not flat. Give it a few good circles the. Check it. See if you can see the high spots. If its bad then drop a few grits and start lapping. "Safer then delidding." Now check your temps after that's flat. Temps still need a few c dropped use liquid metal. If it's still high time to delid. My i9 I just lapped the soup bowl it had for an ihs and seen a 15c drop because it was so bad. Never had to delid it.

But personally if I'm going to spend the $350+ for a new loop I would just sell the cou and Mobo and just go with a 3900x with a x470 crosshair or $250-$300 x570 board. If you can use all those cores and threads it will be worth it.

Ya if your at 85c something is wrong it’s not simply to much paste or old paste.. you need to pull the side off and hit the middle of the processor with an infrared thermometer and see what it comes back with. With an h110i your temps should be below half that. So either it’s a software issue or processor issue

Ya if your at 85c something is wrong it’s not simply to much paste or old paste.. you need to pull the side off and hit the middle of the processor with an infrared thermometer and see what it comes back with. With an h110i your temps should be below half that. So either it’s a software issue or processor issue
No way temps should be half that when stress testing.

I dont suggest taking the heatsink off and running the cpu. What's the point in knowing that information. There will always be a difference between what temp the surface of the ihs is to the internal temp.

I think he meant pull the side of the case off? an IR camera would be a way to see if the pump is moving the heat away from the cpu block or not.

If your h100i is old give the pump a few good thumps. When I ran one for 2 years some times it would work and other times no. Thumping the pump would get it back spinning but the inside of the block and pump was clogged.

It was an h100i gtx

i replaced my h100i v2 with a h100i platinum SE

temps max at 70* now so my cooler was clogged i'd imagine

time for some overclocking

so far...

5.0 1.35v was hitting 100*
4.8 1.3v and maxed at 92*
4.7 1.27v maxed at 85*

probably gonna leave it at 4.7

Last edited:
Yes, it looks quite good. Actually, my chip was going up to 95-98°C under full load on a 360 AIO at 5GHz 1.28V. There was barely any difference between 240, 280 and 360 rads. Problem is to transfer all that heat from the CPU in fast enough time so only lower liquid temps can help what is impossible in ambient/typical room temps (at least large rads are not helping as much as it's expected).
It's still better to set it at 4.7GHz and lower voltage manually than leave it at auto as at auto it will all the time throttle for various reasons.

Back