• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990FX-UD3 REV 4 bios F3 Weird OC results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsine

Registered
I updated to the latest bios f3 (the full version not the beta ) today .The bios is very fast to operate compared to F2 bios using mouse .I couldn't find any details except that the CPU AGESA CODE was updated. Ok now the problem

I tried to put my default 4.5ghz oc profile and it didn't work . I have tested this profile lots of times with f2 bios benchmarks AIDA cinebench frybench IBT.

I tried something with auto setting to see how thing will go . I put the multi on 22 (4.4ghz) and turbo boost off and managed to get stable easily .

This is very weird . With bios F2 i couldn't get stable at 4.4 without touching voltages and cpu power options. I had to put manual voltage(1.42v++) ,Pll and LLC and play with other setting to get it stable and bootable .

Now F3 BIOS the magic.......22 multi turbo core off and boom I can run cine bench and AIDA 64 . My voltage idle 1.2-- and starts at 1.41v(at 4.4mhz without heavy load) and under load drops to 1.36 so i assume that the under load voltage . The vdrop doesn't effect stability (weird) and 1.36 volts seems very low for 4.4 (f2 bios 4.4ghz vcore 1.42 with llc high).

Can the bios impact the overclock at that level ?
Why my old bios tested profiles that i have them in a txt file makes the system crush with F3 bios but worked fine when i was on F2 bios?

I am aware of any faulty hardware that causes this "problem" (you should say )..

My system

HX650 CORSAIR bronze
990FX UD3 REV 4 BIOS F3
8320FX
1866 9-10-9-27 GSKILL
SSD CRUSIAL M500
h80i cpu cooler PUSH-PULL
GTX 680 PALIT JETSTREAM 4GB
CASE silverstone ft02-w

Last edited:
beware, if you use suspend/s3 when it wakes your fan is likely to be spinning at a much lower than normal RPM and never ramps up. I opened a ticket with Gigabyte on this. Have not heard back. However I did flash back to f2 and all is right with the world again.

The only thing i have problem with is the overclock . My CPU is more stable at lower voltages than F2 BIOS and the settings from F2 BIOS doesn't apply to F3 BIOS

Thanks for the reply !

Last edited:
The only thing i have problem with is the overclock . My CPU is more stable at lower voltages than F2 BIOS and the settings from F2 BIOS doesn't apply to F3 BIOS

Thanks for the reply !
To answer your question yes a stable Oc on one BIOS, can sometimes not be stable with a different BIOS version.

not only that, but if there is no requirement for the bios update, in this case it's micro code for the latest FX CPUs, and lists no other benefits, just go back to F2 and call it a day.

Thanks for your replys .

I will go deep into some testing when i can with F3 BIOS to see results . And if my new Oc results are not very balanced i will go back to F2 bios .

Another think i will test is If i can go higher that 4.7ghz. In F2 bios my max Oc was 4.7GHZ and without IBT or AIDA .The computer shutdown immediately after 15 sec of IBT at 4.7 1.5V .

Last edited:
To answer your question yes a stable Oc on one BIOS, can sometimes not be stable with a different BIOS version.

Xm so bios can help lowering the voltages on the OC . Stable at 4.4 with 1.36 seems pretty low .

Yes maybe they fixed the auto settings to be more accurate than F2 Bios ..

Gigabyte is not known for the best AMD motherboards....

For some reason, they keep making new revisions of boards, and no one really knows why...
Like manny said it really depends on the BIOS revision as some features were removed or added.

Many people have struggled with rev 3 of that board IIRC, so from your experience it sounds like rev 4 didn't help that much.

Now, to overclock that board, make sure all power saving features are turned off, but make sure APM is enabled.
Then try to overclock. Raise the multiplier, and vcore when necessary. Leave the FSB and other settings alone for now.

Also make sure you have a fan blowing over the VRM's too :)

Thanks for the advice

APM wow .Why i have to have this enabled ? Its acts weirdly with apps and makes some weird unnecessary throttles from my experience

It will help with stability ?

I have a fan blowing VRM that helped the stay bellow 65c (before hitting 80c).

Gigabyte is not known for the best AMD motherboards....

For some reason, they keep making new revisions of boards, and no one really knows why...
Like manny said it really depends on the BIOS revision as some features were removed or added.

Many people have struggled with rev 3 of that board IIRC, so from your experience it sounds like rev 4 didn't help that much.

Now, to overclock that board, make sure all power saving features are turned off, but make sure APM is enabled.
Then try to overclock. Raise the multiplier, and vcore when necessary. Leave the FSB and other settings alone for now.

Also make sure you have a fan blowing over the VRM's too :)

Thanks for the advice

APM wow .Why i have to have this enabled ? Its acts weirdly with apps and makes some weird unnecessary throttles from my experience

It will help with stability ?

I have a fan blowing VRM that helped the stay bellow 65c (before hitting 80c).

APM off for ASUS
APM on for Gigabyte

Is what they say. It's even helped some by letting them lower their Vcore.

I have it disabled on my Gigabyte board :shrug:

How much i have to raise the fsb if i want to get 1866mhz on my ram ?

I mean if i want o get 1:1 ratio

I now that i want 240fsb for 1600 mhz ...But for 1866 ?

APM off for ASUS
APM on for Gigabyte

Is what they say. It's even helped some by letting them lower their Vcore.

I have it disabled on my Gigabyte board :shrug:

Last edited:
How much i have to raise the fsb if i want to get 1866mhz on my ram ?

I mean if i want o get 1:1 ratio

I now that i want 240fsb for 1600 mhz ...But for 1866 ?
You don't.
You raise the System Memory Multiplier.

You don't.
You raise the System Memory Multiplier.

Something else while stress test i saw these reading
12V PSU RAIL :11.883V lowest 11.713
5V RAIL : 4.87V
3.3V RAIL : 3.28V

why are these reading not near to what they have to be ?

Software for reading them isn't accurate, if you really want to see what the specs are on the PSU get a digital multimeter and test it. Though if the Corasir HX is new then you likely do not need to.

Xm so without multimeter i cant see if the PSU is faulty ? I will hope it is not faulty and i will keep testing for Ocing .

Too bad because i am curious about it . Maybe if my over clock go strange it will be a clue for the PSU

Software for reading them isn't accurate, if you really want to see what the specs are on the PSU get a digital multimeter and test it. Though if the Corasir HX is new then you likely do not need to.

It's possible, I do know when the mem/cache are slightly unstable it can give erroneous readings. If it's repeatable though then it's likely accurate. L# has a lot to do with CPU and NB speed.

see this shot 5.2 on core and 2960 NB

aida 93 snip.JPG

I am stable 30 LOOPS IBT on very high .How can my l3 cache be unstable?

look my scores at stock speeds

http://prntscr.com/7hzdsc

It's possible, I do know when the mem/cache are slightly unstable it can give erroneous readings. If it's repeatable though then it's likely accurate. L# has a lot to do with CPU and NB speed.

see this shot 5.2 on core and 2960 NB

View attachment 164971

Last edited:
Stable and efficiency are two different things. That's an efficiency problem if the OC is stable. You likely need a slight bump in the CPU_NB voltage. Or the ram possibly.
After reading the last few posts, I'm not sure what settings you are using and any vital info was cut off in that Aida pic you asked about initially. So I need more info.

Yeah i will provide you info !

First at stock speed my voltage is 1.4 by default will all power save features on and ram 1866 .

At 4.5 my settings are

1.415 volt With LLC extreme . Voltage goes from 1.4125 idle to 1.488 on load .
NB core Voltage 1.3v
Memory 1.52volts
CPU PLL 2.7V
All power save features CNQ C1 C6 APM etc off
HPC ON
blck 230
Multiplier 19.5
Memory extreme profile 1866 9-10-9-28 cl2
HT LINK 2730
NB 2330 (SOMEWHERE there)

If you want to look at my bios look here to see pictures
http://www.modders-inc.com/gigabyte-990fxa-ud3-rev-4-0-motherboard-review/4/

Thanks in advance

Stable and efficiency are two different things. That's an efficiency problem if the OC is stable. You likely need a slight bump in the CPU_NB voltage. Or the ram possibly.
After reading the last few posts, I'm not sure what settings you are using and any vital info was cut off in that Aida pic you asked about initially. So I need more info.

Back