• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A case question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akumu X

How do I determine what the case size on my friend's computer is?
He's thinking of getting a new mobo and chip. I know a good mobo and chip but don't know if they'll fit/work in this case.
Physically it looks like a mini tower?
I've seen smaller cases than it. But not much.

Thanks...

P.S. No I don't know his current MOBO...working on finding that out as week speak.

Get the dimensions of the new mobo he wants to put in it. cut out a piece of cardboard and draw on the basic locations of things. Key issues here are HSF location , ram, and where do the IDE cables hook up. THen verify that the drives will not touch any of those components when board is in place.

Ultimately if he can afford it a new case is in order. I am in the same boat myself and my CDburner is hanging halfway out the front of my case. IT works, yes but is ugly as sin and not a permanent solution.

Also check what type of mobo it is. ATX and AT are the most common. This relates to the placement of the connectors on the back. Nothing is worse than buying that shinny no mobo and taking it home only to find out that that old case is an AT configuration. In other words mark down or memorizing the placement on the back onf the mouse, keyboard, parallel port, com ports and so on to make sure that the new board is the same.

A few more things to look at(in relation to the AT/ATX case differences):
The AT style motherboards use a differnet power supply. The simplest ways to tell are to look at the switch and the to-motherboard power connector. If the switch runs into the power supply itsely, its an AT case/PS. The power connector is split into two parts... the newer ATX Power supplies are a single power connector(into motherboard), and the switch actually runs down to the motherboard instead of into the power supply.
These are the ways I tell the difference, and I've been using them for some time, I hope that they help you out a bit too.

Most AT type power supplies also have a plug for the monitor on it as well as the power cord. The ATX type power supplies have an on/off switch on the rear whereas the AT type usually don't. Also most AT type motherboards also use an "AT" type keyboard plug (larger than the mouse plug), ATX's use a "PS2" type (same type and size as used on the mouse).

I hope this helps.

Back