• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A+ certification... is it hard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

not really very hard, but i definitely could not have passed it without looking over the materials that it's based on. There are two parts to it, software and hardware. If you're going to take them, consider looking around online for study materials. There's also lots of books on it and other certs, but they can get kind of pricey.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
I looked at courses and books, they are all very expensive. I plan on getting my certification this coming summer. I think I will just get a book and study it.

Tecumseh

Look over the books and study guides online. If you have a good
memory it's pretty easy. It's in two parts. You can take them at
the same time or on different days.

xvi3tsoljahx

im interested in this too. My school would do A+, but we won't be A+ certified... is there a way to do it at home? just studying? I want to be A+ certified!

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Emericana said:
what exactly is A+ certification and is it easy or hard to get?

If it were easy, would it be worth paying more for a certified person?...No.

sm0x

A+ certifies the competency of a computer technician. The concepts aren't too hard to grasp. The hard part is memorizing tables of data such as hex and binary values. Here is what you need to know: here.

To get certified you must pass both exams. I recommend the A+ Certification Kit 3rd edition from Sybex. It has a book for each exam. And has plenty of practice exams on the CD.

Tecumseh

xvi3tsoljahx said:
im interested in this too. My school would do A+, but we won't be A+ certified... is there a way to do it at home? just studying? I want to be A+ certified!

Yes, don't pay to take classes. Just go to the book store and
buy the book. Do the CBT (Computer based training) and then
check some of the sites online. The damn test costs quite
a bit so if you can't get your company to pay be ready for a
shock.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
I've found the only use for A+ certification, is being able to put it on your resume. I've only been a tech for 2 1/2 years and seen plenty of A+ certified techs that knew less than I did. I used to think it meant more, but apparently (from what I've seen), it's just another certificate under your belt. Looks good to the person in human resources who is hiring you, but on the job experience is far more valuble IMO. The upside to having it, is that you don't get passed over because you don't have it on your resume.

Dark Disciple

A+ certification is not that hard if you have a working knowledge of how a pc functions and good insite when it comes to trouble-shooting (Time is money in your employers eyes).

And like Crystal said, that piece of paper may mean the difference between a promotion or not.

The certification is only as good as the tech that owns it !

BTW, you should also go for your CCNA along w/ your A+, I studied for both at the same time. When I got bored w/ studying one, I would switch off to the other, and vise versa.

nealric

I highly reccomend the a+ exam cram. It was about 30 at b & n or amazon. Even if you are really good, there is a lot of wierd stuff the a+ people want to know like "what are the common # of pins on a dot matrix printer". I just read the thing over a few times and passed my first try ;-)

cack01

CrystalMethod said:
I've found the only use for A+ certification, is being able to put it on your resume. I've only been a tech for 2 1/2 years and seen plenty of A+ certified techs that knew less than I did. I used to think it meant more, but apparently (from what I've seen), it's just another certificate under your belt. Looks good to the person in human resources who is hiring you, but on the job experience is far more valuble IMO. The upside to having it, is that you don't get passed over because you don't have it on your resume.

I agree. I've been a tech for 2 years now, and only once have we hired some one with A+ certification. I asked my boss what he thought of it, and he said the stuff is bascally simple, and common sense and that experince was more important to him. But if it helps you get a job in the big picture, then I'm all for it.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Is it hard? It really doesn't look hard to me from that link that was posted above. It looks like anybody with a good memory could take it, even my grandmother. I've got the CCNA book, but I could never find motivation to read it. Would it be like that or would it be quick skimming through a whole bunch o' stuff I already know and then BAM! something I don't know and then more skimming? Who here took and and what did they think? Is it like the SAT?

Z

sm0x

zachj said:
Is it hard? It really doesn't look hard to me from that link that was posted above. It looks like anybody with a good memory could take it, even my grandmother. I've got the CCNA book, but I could never find motivation to read it. Would it be like that or would it be quick skimming through a whole bunch o' stuff I already know and then BAM! something I don't know and then more skimming? Who here took and and what did they think? Is it like the SAT?

Z

Well, it can get quite detailed with certain topics. You may know the basics of every topic covered but it goes into more depth. For example, what is a magnetic representation of a binary number, a flux transition. But don't worry about it. As long as you have a basic knowledge already it shouldn't be a problem. Everything basically falls into place. But don't expect to skim through it quickly, you may end up paying another 150 bucks to retake a test.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Well if it's anything like reading up on Kodak's site about how digital photos work and how printers work, etc., It'll be really boring (web graphics). Maybe I can sit through it, though. Never know, I guess. Speaking of the SAT, they suck. I got a 1330 the first time, but math was only 630 and I need much better. Took it again and the thing went down. Took it yesterday. AM VERY SLEEPY (in Homer Simpson voice). . . Hope I did well. I kicked English's ***, though.:rolleyes:

Z