• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A crazy experiment - Rear Socket fan * With results*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

After installing my H110 I got a crazy idea to take an old 80mm fan I had and place it behind the cpu socket. I figured it's still the part of the cpu that gets the hottest so this couldnt hurt things at all.

The results were amazing to me.

took an old crappy 80mm led fan I had with industrial strength velcro
IMG_1249.JPG

Pre fan install in temps in BIOS.
IMG_1247.JPG

After fan Install temps in BIOS
IMG_1248.JPG

CPU Temp dropped from 82.4 degrees to 77.0f a whopping 5.4 degrees which isn't a whole lot but it's something.
MB temp dropped from 77.0F degrees to 71.6 degrees for a drop of 5.4 as well.

Now I think there is 2 possibilities here

1. The fan blew directly on a temp sensor and caused a faulty temp reading or
2. it actually dropped the temps.

Any ideas on this stupid little experiment?

Last edited:
This and a fan on the NB/VRM area are both commonly done by the guys that run FX equipment hard on this forum

This and a fan on the NB/VRM area are both commonly done by the guys that run FX equipment hard on this forum
No kidding? I thought it was something crazy to do to my 8320 just for giggles but it actually seems to work.

The fact the the CPU dropped to within 6 degrees of room temp was shocking to me .

Of course I'm not sure how accurate the temp monitoring is in the UEFI bios because I have heard that FX temp monitoring can be sketchy at best.

That's idle temps though. Load temperatures are what you should really be looking at for comparisons.

Yup, I've been running a 120mm fan behind the motherboard and a 80mm on the Vrm/Nb heatsink for almost 2 years now.

yea, we do that, what i found with mine is that a fan that was very strong, or blowing on the board was fooling the temp sensor.
with my 8350 hammering at 5.4 on all 8 the right side door of the case would get hot, i cut a hole for an 80mm fan and found one that only just moved air and installed it as exaust, works a charm.
it's not needed on later intel due to the vrm on the chip.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting a hole in the motherboard tray behind the cpu socket of my case for quite sometime for this. Unfortunately I rarely have any time. Free time is spent with my 8 year old and when I do have the time I'm just catching up on sleep :rofl:

One of these days tho..

burglar, if your looking for ideas, go look in the cpu/amd section and find a little thread called just putzen around, it's a little wordy, but full of weird info.

only 266 pages long today.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting a hole in the motherboard tray behind the cpu socket of my case for quite sometime for this. Unfortunately I rarely have any time. Free time is spent with my 8 year old and when I do have the time I'm just catching up on sleep :rofl:

One of these days tho..

I've done just that to all 3 of my cases. I originally drilled screw holes to mount the fans permanently, but that makes swapping out the cooler impossible as the screws are buried under the mobo. So now I use velcro just like the OP mentioned. Works great.

One of these days tho..

It's a good father son project Nebulous, I had my little guy help me cut a hole in my motherboard tray when he was 9, hes now 11. You have any idea how cool a 9 year old thinks cutting metal with a jigsaw is? Obviously you need to help him and keep him from cutting his fingers off. :D

Back