• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few home-network questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

I just got dsl for home. We have a Zyxel 642 modem/router, and a linksys EZXS55W switch.

My first question is about the linksys switch. Is there any reason to use the uplink port with a crossover cable from the router as opposed to a regular port with a straight through cable from the router to connect the dsl with? Is there any difference?

My next question has to do with finding other computers on the network. My dad brought his laptop home to try to see if we could network and were having some problems. He can see me, but can't acces anything(I have file sharing enabled.) I can't see him. His login is with the program Novell and mine is just with windows. For his to login he has to login as workstation only. Would this be the problem, that we use 2 different login proframs? What else could be the problem, I could really use some advice.

thanks,
Kent

Kingslayer

kent_b29 said:

My first question is about the linksys switch. Is there any reason to use the uplink port with a crossover cable from the router as opposed to a regular port with a straight through cable from the router to connect the dsl with? Is there any difference?

An uplink port is already crossed. You can use straight cables on an uplink ports. (as long as the other device on the other side of the cable isn't using it's uplink port also.)

If it's working ok on a normal port, using the uplink with a crossover cable is essentially the same thing your doing now on the normal port. Using a regular cable on the uplink port may not work at all.

kent_b29 said:
My next question has to do with finding other computers on the network. My dad brought his laptop home to try to see if we could network and were having some problems. He can see me, but can't acces anything(I have file sharing enabled.) I can't see him. His login is with the program Novell and mine is just with windows. For his to login he has to login as workstation only. Would this be the problem, that we use 2 different login proframs? What else could be the problem, I could really use some advice.

thanks,
Kent

He won't see anything with Novell as his login. He will need to set his workgroup for you. Make his IP address the same subnet as you, and if your running 2000 or XP he will need the username and password for his Microsoft Networking used in an account on your machine.