• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few (moderatley) beginner questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakkoda

Registered
Well I just wanna say hi first off. Been doin SETI for a while but mostly just as a random user with no team. Recently built a beast of a machine and decided to get involved with OC's SETI team. :)

Details:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=5243211
Running SSE4.1 optimized client.
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Now that you have the details I wanna shoot out a few questions that I cant seem to pin down answers for myself.

1) What kind of RAC should I be expecting? Currently im sittin @ 2k with only about 3-4 days of serious crunching going on. I assume itll take a full week to get a better figure but it still feels like its under performing for an i7 running @ 3.3ghz. I see some qxxxx chips pushing 10k or so with and w/o CUDA so I know this chip can perform better.

2) So far Ive simply been using the BOINC GUI. I just switched from linux to windows due to some hardware compatibility issues (current mobo has no onboard sound but rather an X-FI addon card which equates to no sound). I detest CLI in windows but would it yield me any noticeable increase switching to the CLI manager instead?

If all this has been asnwered I apologize. Its winter and I do HVAC, coach 2 soccer teams and volunteer (indentured servitude) at the local high school as a substitute teacher. My time on the computer during the months of dec-march are so small and I try to cram in so much during the 1-2 hours a day I get on.

cjc_75

Welcome to the team :welcome:

It seemed like my RAC took a few weeks to somewhat~ level out, but I guess you can estimate a bit after a week or so by the daily numbers.

Here is my rig, it was at stock till yesterday (I7920, 2x285gtx)...main rig with quite a few gaming hours on it when i totally shut off BOINC. The numbers are a bit out, i just merged it on SETI site the other day...but maybe it will give you an idea. I was pushing up over 21k/day but I've been home more and playing a lot lately lol.

Recent average credit RAC (according to [email protected]) 18,154.17534
Recent average credit RAC (according to BOINCstats) 38,870.99367

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to the Team!

As far as I know the CLI is a thing of the past. You might see a very minute increase in performance using it but you'd be better served shutting down unused (or mostly unused) Windows processes than using the CLI. Things like Quick Launch routines and such also suck up the same "unused cycles" SETI uses.

Between the credit delay for your wingman to complete the WU and the way RAC is calculated it takes awhile for RAC to build up. The site I use for monitoring my output is BIONCStats. It will give you daily numbers as well as week and month totals - and RAC if you're interested but I've found the daily totals (at the bottom of your page) to be more informative ... :)

What happens if there's a computation error?

All work units are sent out to two different computers. When both results arrive at Berkeley they are compared to each other. If the results agree then both computers get credited for completing the work unit. If the results do not agree a third copy of the raw data is sent to a third computer to be processed and those results are compared to the first two results. Results are not stored in the science database until at least two computers have the same results, at which time those two computers are credited for completing the work unit. Bogus results are rare but they happen. By only recognizing duplicate results from different machines, Berkeley maintains the integrity of the data analysis process.

What are Cobblestones and RAC?

[email protected] credit is officially awarded in units called "Cobblestones" for historic purposes but is often referred to as simply 'credits'. Each work unit is worth a certain number of Cobblestones, depending on the amount of processor time it takes to complete on a standardized computer system running the base [email protected] application. Another term often seen in [email protected] conversation is 'RAC', or Recent Average Credit. RAC is calculated using a fairly complex formula but is basically the average daily output of a given computer or participant over the last 15-20 days.
(emphasis added)
SETI FAQ

Here is my rig, it was at stock till yesterday (I7920, 2x285gtx)...main rig with quite a few gaming hours on it when i totally shut off BOINC. The numbers are a bit out, i just merged it on SETI site the other day...but maybe it will give you an idea. I was pushing up over 21k/day but I've been home more and playing a lot lately lol.

Recent average credit RAC (according to [email protected]) 18,154.17534
Recent average credit RAC (according to BOINCstats) 38,870.99367
A big chunk of that from BOINCStats is from the merge. ~800k in one day is bound to screw up the statistics ... ;)

Last edited:
OP
Bakkoda

Bakkoda

Registered
I figured a bit out today as I had time to snoop around in the BOINC/SETI data. I had reset and paused all my SETI tasks when installing the optimized client but never completely killed boinc.exe to reload the app info. Just noticed about an hour ago i was still crunching with the stock app.

So now Im cruising along and a bit happier with SETI. One of my arrays just took a poo on me but at least SETI is running fine. TY for the help.

QuietIce

Disabled
Maybe there should be a test step at the end of the Installation Guide. Over the years ahead I'm sure you won't be the only one to have an issue and there is an easy quick-test to use to make sure everything went off OK. I'm just sorry we didn't include it originally ... :-/

OP
Bakkoda

Bakkoda

Registered
2010-01-14 16:43:16 7,818
2010-01-12 16:34:47 6,486
2010-01-06 16:32:58 5,045
2010-01-13 16:31:43 4,814
2010-01-11 16:32:17 4,809

Much better. Guess its time to ditch these two 4870s for some gtx 260s to hold me off until Fermi. Many thanks on the guide QuietIce.