• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good 4ch/6ch fan controller...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

thinking of getting a decent fan controller, thinking of controlling at least 4 fans... 3x200mm and 1x120mm. Need suggestions please :) Is it true some pcs caught fire coz of the fan controllers?

Last edited:
Do you know what amps the fans you want are? also are you going to want to control each fan independently or double them up on 1 channel? do you want knobs, automatic, diy, touchscreen... :) also you said 4 fans but listed 6? :)

Honestly, I don't know the amps on the fans but it's stock from haf 922 (2x200mm) and got a megaflow (for side panel) which is another 200m fan so that's 3x200m. Then scythe slipstreams 2x1200rpm (connected directly to mobo, 1 for hs and 1 for rear exhaust) and 1x800rpm (used as bottom fan). So pretty much, I will be running 4 fans, 1 per channel and is possible control them individually. Knobs/Touchscreen preferred but not expensive ones please :)

Edit: Here's a Pix of the system to give you a better idea. Though, this is not recent/latest pix, I already fixed the wires, and put them in tubing.

ok I'm very lost.... you mention 6 fans but say only 4? are you wanting to run the slipstreams(1200rpm) on the same channel and the stock haf 922 fans on the same channel?

there edited hehe... 3x200mm and 1x120mm (800) rpm

A cheap relable controller that will handle easily a 200mm fan? or 3 fans on one chanel wired in parellel (standard medium speed fans)?

Good
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html

You can't get cheaper or more simple/reliable than this. very popular.

Better
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-Rheobus-Extreme-Black-pr-4090.html

does it come with single 3-pin extentions? I wish the better one came in red leds instead of blue as my case fans are red :(

does it come with single 3-pin extentions? I wish the better one came in red leds instead of blue as my case fans are red :(

1st:
Features

- Includes a 4-pin Y-adapter
- Retail Packaged Kit
- Smooth control from 0 to 12V
- Tactile click from power off position
- Handles 20Watts per channel
- Brushed aluminum finish
- Solid construction
- Consistent knob resistance

2nd:
Package Contents:

Main Panel x 1 Power Wire x 1
RPM Signal Wire for M/B x 2 3P to 3P Wire x 2
This User's Guide x 1 3P to 4P Wire x 2

not sure if that answers your question...

@Conundrum i was about to recommend the same controller...

@op - you could also build your own controller I know there is a thread about it somewhere... :p

Absolutely the best fan controller out there. It doesn't look pretty, but it handles my super high speed 220cfm Delta fans (over 2 amps each) without an issue. Very very few fan controllers can claim that type of control.

Mine did not come with any.

Will take it consideration ty much. Could you guys suggest any good touchscreen ones?

when you say 10watts per channel, does that mean it can handle a 200mm fan? or like 2x120mm fan per channel?

Fan's power is not related to their size and vice versa, of course this is not applicable until certain extend. ;)

What brand & model of the 120mm fan you're going to use ? This info might help other to help you.

scythe slipstream for 120mm and cooler master for the 200mm

the slipstream (1200rpm/120mm) is 0.26 amps (3.12w @ 12v) , and not sure didn't have much luck googling the CM haf 922 fan, but it should say on it or you can google if you have the product number...

the slipstream (1200rpm/120mm) is 0.26 amps (3.12w @ 12v) , and not sure didn't have much luck googling the CM haf 922 fan, but it should say on it or you can google if you have the product number...

this is the info I got and ty much :)

# Rated Fan Speed: 700 rpm
# Air Flow: 110 CFM
# Air pressure (mmH2O): 0.595 mm H2O
# Noise Level: 19 dBA
# Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
# Current (Ampere): 0.16 A (Max 0.28 A)
# Power Consumption: 3.36 W

EDIT: I noticed it says max 0.28a so amps change depending on...?

Not sure, they use .28A when they calculated the power consumption, maybe it uses more amps to get goin or something? but it's 3.36 W at 12v

scythe slipstream for 120mm and cooler master for the 200mm

From cooler master site, that 200mm fan power is about 3.36 watts, a 10 watt per channel should be no problem driving it.

For scythe which model is it ? Cause so many models starting from SY1225SL12SL at 0.84 watt up to SY1225SL12SH 6.36 watts, again, this is ok fro 10 watt/channel controller.

To calculate fan power, just multiply the voltage, usually 12 volt with the current.

About the power rating on controller, it is advisable not to max out the usage, just don't use more than 80% to 90% of it's rating to prevent burn out.

Back