• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good card ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

I have the option from a friend to buy a brand new never opened retail PNY 5900 Ultra 256meg video card for 200-225 dollars. What do you guys think? I have not used an nVidia card since the GeForce2 (which I still have). Is this card worth 225? I know they retailed for over 400 last year when introduced. I was thinking of replacing a 9500 np with it.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
thats a pretty good price for that card, i have a fx5900->fx5950 and get around 6000 points in '03 and 17,000 in '01, but having the 6800NU around makes it not so hot, i remember running into the 6800nu for 230$ twice, or you could get a 9800pro and flash to XT for the same $

OP
Dragonprince

Dragonprince

The cards actualy for the wifes computer, I have an XT on order so its not gonna be in my rig anyway. Just wondering if they are decent for games since the kids use her computer for newer games..

DarkMatter13

I had a PNY 5900U. I never quite figured out why, but it crapped out on my after about 4 months, maybe a little more, roughly speaking. Now, here's the real kick in the pants. PNY no longer supports the 5900U because their "lifetime warranty" is actually for the products "commercial sales/shelftime lifespan". By the time Mine died, the 5900 had been replaced with the 5950, and I was left holding the bag on a slightly funny smelling (read: burnt to a crisp) $499.99 video card that was now a paperweight. I'll never buy another PNY product ever again.