• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Good Laptop for LAN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Hey all. I wanted to get your thoughts on what would be the bare minimum needed for a good Laptop for LAN meets, including graphics card, proccesor, and RAM. The games will include MOHAA, BF1942, Couner Strike, etc. I was thinking 800MHz PIII Mobile, Mobile Radeon 7500?

travioli

Registered
I am also interested in getting a laptop for school and games, so if anyone knows what brands are good and which ones to avoid I'd love to heard your opnions.

SlaughterUall

Well if you have the money and want the best go with Alienware as far as gaming systems go you won't find a better one at Dell. Unless you dont have the money to spend on a Alienware then i would say go with a Dell.

Stay away from anything that was built by Compaq i've had to work on several of there machines that freinds own'd god what i nightmare. Also unless they've improved for the love of god dont get a Gateway my parents have had nothing but problems with theres. Well more so me trying to upgrade it for them. Well that was more then my 2 cents but oh well i expect change back.

SlaughterUall

OC Noob

I used my father in laws P4 2 ghz w/ a 7500 mobility for UT2k3 and it was great. So long as you have an optical USB mouse you should be set unless the 800 mhz isn't enough.

Where can you still get an 800 mhz processor in a laptop and don't most of them come with vid cards much worse then the 7500 M?

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
id go with a dell for gaming

the alienware would be nice, but its a desktop in a small case, and do you know how long a desktop system will run on a laptop battery?

eh?

the dells are horribly overpriced. I got an Sager 5670. the specs are:
p4 2.6 gig northwodd 533 bus
512 mb pc2100 ddr.
128mb Radon 9000 (not shared memory).
40 gig 5400 harddrive.
DVD/CDRW 24x10x32
And the best LCD laptop screen aviable. It blows away Dells Ultrasharp screen. The screen does 1600x1200.
UXGA4.jpg

UXGA5.jpg

UXGA6.jpg

im not sure but i belive its compared to a dell. The one on the right is the UXGA screen.
People constly say that they can run BF1942 at 1600x1200 with max settings no problem with these machines.

My machine is about the medium one there are higher end ones... but they also cost more. I got mine for like 1704 shipped with a 1 year warrenty. Whats great about the warrenty is you can add up to 4 years to it and you can do it up to 1 month before the 1 year expires. So in like 10 months im gonna call them back and add another 3 years to my warrenty.

BTW here is a comparsion of the dell screens
sagerspecs.gif

*edit* oh yea try to build deal machine that can compare in price. Even the referbs a re couple hundread more for less stuff....

Last edited:

Kendan

Senior Punk
drdingo21 said:
512 mb pc2100 ddr.
128mb Radon 9700 pro (not shared memory).
40 gig 5400 harddrive.
DVD/CDRW
And the best LCD laptop screen aviable. It blows away Dells Ultrasharp screen. The screen does 1600x1200.
i paid 16xx i don't remeber the exact amount

How much did you pay? and that is a desktop chip which means battery life = short time. The 600 M is the new Pentium M chip which uses very little power and has a long battery life. I was looking not too long ago when dell had some deals going and it would have been about $1000 . Check out http://www.techbargains.com. Hopefully the price will drop soon on those low end Pentium M Laptops:D

Edit: caught before you added the rest and missed the amount you said.

mcortz_2000

drdingo21 said:
512 mb pc2100 ddr.
128mb Radon 9700 pro (not shared memory).
40 gig 5400 harddrive.
DVD/CDRW 24x10x32

Dude you realise that the 9700 is only found in desktops systems and this discussion is about a laptop......;)

eh?

yea. the chip is a desktop chip. i get little over 2 hours with it. But it makes easy upgrading. Also the little thing is a power house.

eh?

mcortz_2000 said:

Dude you realise that the 9700 is only found in desktops systems and this discussion is about a laptop......;)
opss your right. its the 9000 :D i know its about a laptop, thats why i posted the pics of the laptop screens :D

ill edit my other post also

cack01

I just helped my friend look for a gaming laptop. But....I would sersiouly recomend waiting for a bit. First off the 9600 should be showing up soon, and second, by then the centario (SP?) systems should be priced lower.