• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a good surface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[email protected]

What's a good surface to place all my stuff on while I'm working on it? You know, motherboard, cpu, video card, ram. I need something soft, so I won't brake anything or damage the soldering on back of the motherboard or whatever. I also need something that doesn't conduct static electricity. I'm gonna be working on a wooden table, but I'm afraid that if I push the motherboard a bit too hard, I could brake it.

matttheniceguy

Doesn't conduct static electicity?!?! I think the whole reason the electricity is static is because it is on a non grounded surface and has no where to go.

I ususally lay my parts on a clean towel or piece of cardboard, and sometimes on a static bag. The pieces of foam that come in mobo boxes are good too.

The best way to protect everything from static electricity is to make sure there isn't any. To get rid of static electricity, give it somewhere to go. There are many grounds around your house, such as any of the metal on a light switch or fixture, power outlet, or any metal plumbing. Connecting anything to one of these grounds with something conductive will discharge the staitic electricity.