• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A hello and a question :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Hi people
So its my first post on the SETI forum, after joining overclockers.com seti team and defecting from overclockers.co.uk!

The question I have, which is probably very simple to you guys is - does SETI generally take advantage of both processors in a DP rig? I thought it wasnt possible to load balance but I could be wrong, we just got a Twin PIII 1.13s Tually rig with 1gb ECC PC133 so I though I would run a client on it at night....but if it will act as a single PIII with the terrible memory bandwidth numbers its probably not worth bothering....

lonewolf1983

with an SMP rig if you only run one client your cpu's will only be used to 50% of their overall capacity. To make use of both cpu's you need to run 2 seperate clients at the same time, one for each cpu.

And welcome to the team!! :burn:

OP
markodude

markodude

Thanks for that m8, I guess its not worth it then! Ill stick to machines with some real memory bandwidth....:D

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Welcome to The Team, markodude!

What lonewolf said ;) pretty much answers the question....as a small extra bit of info: I ran my duallie with one copy of the client running (under linux) as an experiment and my times were reduced by about 1 hour. My guess is that the resources were more plentiful for one unit, while with two there is occasional waiting happening (disk writes, less ram available.) Definitely not worth it- back to to instances; duallie p3 1ghz, btw.

SpeeDj

I just would like to also welcome to the team Marko great to have you here, make yourself at home. Hope you enjoy the wealth of information we have here just as much as we all do!

J :cool: If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
Welcome to the forum!!!!!

As I use DDR with my dual Tualatins they have plenty of bandwidth to play each other the SETI tune :D.....so I can crunch 2 WU in 4.25 hours at stock speed :D

racecar12

Welcome to the forum Marko. Make sure to stop by the bar some time to pick up your congratulatory drink:beer:

none1

markodude,

1) WELCOME!

2) Your dual will run 2 setis just fine. I have an old dual celeron system, 366 OCed to 550, abit bp6. It runs Linux, is an LTSP server for 5 diskless nodes, is my internet router and firewall, AND runs two instances of Seti at all times. WHEW. With all that, I get about 4 WU a day. EVERY WU COUNTS!!

3) TIP, you must run each instance (only 2) of the seti CLC IN A SEPERATE DIRECTORY for a dual system.

Good luck!

OP
markodude

markodude

Hi people, big hello to Landshark who got me over here and into the team.
The diskless cluster idea is beginning to work around my head....We have 30 P4 1.5ghz in the school I run the Network for. All of them have boot roms I think, what I want to do now is set up and Athlon or something as a linux box and run all 30 P4's as diskless nodes in a cluster - how many WU's do you think I would be able to pump out in a night?
Im gonna look around and see how to do this, thing is I cant affect the PC's hard drives at all, but thats the idea of a diskless cluster is it not?

beau_safken

1) Welcome to the team and I hope you enjoy your experience here.

2) Lets see: The 1.5gig intel P4's average about I'd say 6-7 WU's per day. I'm assuming no overclocking others wise I'd say 7-8. At 30 machines time lets say 7 thats 210 WU's per day. Not that bad.

Note: Isn't it strange to have an AMD in charge of 30 P4's....Maybe theres a hidden message more people should listen too... LOL :beer:

OP
markodude

markodude

hehe, Im not biased towards either - see you have a similar setup to one of my systems XP1600 8k3a etc but you got a few more mhz than me!
Sounds like its workthwhile to do to get my total number of WU's doubled each day (its taken me nearly 6 months to do 200!)
I must say that for price to performance ratio AMD rocks! My £30 AXP1600+ cruches WU's just as fast as my £200 P4 2.5ghz...both overclocked to the max :D

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Markodude- at a very rough guess, and calling 8 hours a night, I come up with this guesstimate for production:

60 wu:D
Per night.

Being a bit conservative and calling it 4 hours per wu.

That sounds like a great way to run a part-time Farm:D