• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Intel dude needs help with AMD.. SO HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

I have a Sony notebook with a Mobile AMD Duron 800MHz. I need to know if this CPU is socket A or not. Will this CPU work in a Desktop? Also what Voltage is this CPU run at. Also if a notebook has a max memory of 256MB(this is the max the notebook supports, as it says in the manual) is there ANY way to go up to 512MB? thanks a lot.

altec

polka dot ninja
If it is a real Duron and not a mobile version, I am pretty sure that it will run in a normal Socket A board. If the board will only support up to 256MB, I doubt that you can bump it to 512MB. They may be telling you that so that you dont crack it open to add memory and such, so I would try it if I were you.

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

altec said:
If it is a real Duron and not a mobile version, I am pretty sure that it will run in a normal Socket A board. If the board will only support up to 256MB, I doubt that you can bump it to 512MB. They may be telling you that so that you dont crack it open to add memory and such, so I would try it if I were you.

well I'm sure Sony used a moblie CPU because the desktop version runs way to hot for a notebook... Does anyone have a Sony FX210?

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
even the mobiles are socket a's if im not mistaken. and ive had a few boards that will register more than thier "max". it wouldnt hurt to try, but 512 sticks are kinda expensive compared to 256s last i looked

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

Supertrucker said:
even the mobiles are socket a's if im not mistaken. and ive had a few boards that will register more than thier "max". it wouldnt hurt to try, but 512 sticks are kinda expensive compared to 256s last i looked

Actually I'd get two sticks of 256.. Since the board has TWO SLOTS.

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

I've tried CPU-Z and Sandra, both say the voltage is 3V so I know that's wrong. You guys are going to love this.. I forgot to mention that this notebook has a Battery life of 19MINUTES.... gotta love AMD's cpus.. jesus christ.. 19 minutes.. wow..

CPU-z says the chipset is a KT133A.. which is a good thing. I opened it up one a long time ago to see if it has a 133MHz bus speed jumper, but I didn't see one. If it is a stand CPU.. maybe I can put a Athlon XP in the notebook.. one of the newer ones that runs cooler.. what do you think?? It would have to be 100MHz CPU though.. but aren't all Athlon XP cpu's 133MHz? doh..

SlaughterUall

It's not the CPU that makes your battery last that long. Well not in this case i think. It's probally just the age of the battery and how many times it's been charged up. You can try charging it up all the way and then discharging it a few times. It might help some but i dont think so. I think it's just that the battery is just so damn old.

SlaughterUall

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

nah guys the battery is brand new, never used.. always plug it in. it's just that the AMD draw a HUGE amount of power to run. And this notebook doesn't lower down the CPU speed like the intel notebooks... I was thinking to get a Athlon 2400XP and run it at 1500MHz.. what do you think? The main thing is the memory.. if I can't get the memory to 512MB then I won't even look at a CPU.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
mobile amds support powernow. and if the notebook is dying in 19 minutes then either a) the battery is defective b) the notebook is defective c) the chip is defective d) the vga is defective or screen ect ect ect, no company would market a notebook with a 19 minute battery life. and as my brothers 1666mhz 2000+ notebook will play a whole dvd and then some i dont see how a chip at less than half the speed could pull that much power without something being defective

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

Supertrucker said:
mobile amds support powernow. and if the notebook is dying in 19 minutes then either a) the battery is defective b) the notebook is defective c) the chip is defective d) the vga is defective or screen ect ect ect, no company would market a notebook with a 19 minute battery life. and as my brothers 1666mhz 2000+ notebook will play a whole dvd and then some i dont see how a chip at less than half the speed could pull that much power without something being defective

Nothing is defective.. Read these reviews.. ALL the SONY PCG-FX210 notebooks have like 15-20 minutes battery life. It's not just mine. Maybe it's not a mobile CPU.

http://www.computingreview.com/pscN...tebook/Sony,VAIO,FX210/PRD_54172_1744crx.aspx

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
if it was advertised by sony as 2 hours and all those reviewers had the short battery life even if its not a mobile cpu 10-20 minutes in word is so far beyond terrible that is just plain sad. a duron just doesnt pull that much power, and the desktop duron pulls 1.65vcore if your curious. sounds like sony sold a laptop that they should not have been selling

xcelerator

my satelite pro does the same with the battery.......around 30min then it shuts off.....:(, pentium 3 850mhz with speed step

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Good lord, my Clevo 2.4GHz P4 (desktop) with a 15" UXGA runs for an easy two hours (running DVD), but probably longer just doing desktop stuff.. damn thing weighs about 8.5 lbs though.

My previous laptop, a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a 650MHz PIII would run for about an hour and 45 mins under battery power.

-also..you'd be better off buying a single 512MB module versus going with 2 x 256MB IMO.

altec

polka dot ninja
If it is killing that much power and you are sure that it is not defective, I would say that the CPU is definatley not a mobile CPU. You could take it out and see though. Also with adding RAM, I don't think that will be a problem as long as you have the $ and time to spend putting it in there. Won't adding another stick of 256 waste more battery though? I mean that gives the battery one more component to power. I am going to agree with mattspalace and say that a 512 stick will help you to conserve some battery life (keep it the same 20min).

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

ok guys I pulled a all nighter last night.. I took the whole dam thing apart. The CPU Is NOT a mobile CPU, but rather a desktop version that runs with less voltage than the desktop version. I popped in a friend's 1600XP and the SYSTEM BOOTED, and then THE DAM BATTERY DIED!! lol.. I didn't get a chance to plug it in the wall.. but I'm happy to see that the system booted with a desktop version of the 1600XP... now the real question is this..

Can the same cooler that was cooling a 800MHz Duron cool a Athlon XP running at like 1200MHz?? And I'm like to say that THEY HAD NO thermal paste on the die at all.. 100% DRY.. was idiots.. and the cooler is rather crap.. or so I think.

I might try a heatsink mod, but I have to be rather careful since this is a laptop.. and almost no room..

altec

polka dot ninja
I doubt that cooler will keep the 1600 cool. I would do a heatsink mod, but like you said, be careful since it is a laptop. Also get some AS3 or the crematique so that you can keep the temps down a little.

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

altec said:
I doubt that cooler will keep the 1600 cool. I would do a heatsink mod, but like you said, be careful since it is a laptop. Also get some AS3 or the crematique so that you can keep the temps down a little.

yeah I did that.. well keep in mind if I get a 1700XP it will be running at 1150MHz since the board is running at 100MHz bus speed. And since it's .13 micron chip.. it should run just as cool as the Duron.