• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help.. Strange Heat problem 4790k Prime95 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoObi_OC

Registered
4790k@46x 1.2 vid , 1.9 VCCIN LLC9 Extreme. Using a Silver Arrow Dual
Fracktal Define S With 2x Intake case Fans 1 case exhourst

Aida64/Realbench/OCCT test -
IDLE 28 28 28 31 - Load 63 63 63 65 - Avg 65

Prime95 small FFT's gets temp to sky rocket Load 82 91 91 82 - Avg dont know - Just testing 5-10 secs !!

Plase help ..

Some Haswells just run hot! You should see what my 4770k does on a custom loop running prime. How much higher is the Cpu LLC "set to Extreme" pushing the voltage over the set 1.2 V? You most likely do not need it that high. With the LLC the ideal setting, is one that keeps the voltage as close to the set voltage as possible without V Droop, under load.

LLC only affects VCCIN right ? VCCIN = set voltage right.. ill try setting LLC 7 so it will match a VCCIN 1.856 - 1.872 max.. isnt that enough voltage for VID 1.17 - 1.2 .. ?

Hope i got i correct :) im new to OC still learning..

My LLC option BIOS are..

LLC Level 1-9 .. Set to 7 now

VRM FREQUENCY .. AUTO (Default)

VRM SPECTRUM .. Disabled (Default)

POWER PHASE - Standard Optimized Extreme - set to AUTO now

POWER DUTY set to T.Probe (Default)

Current Capability - 100% to 140% should i leave it be ? - Auto (default)

Input Boot Voltage Auto

The LLC is the Cpu Voltage I do not believe it adjusts the Vccin, though I may be wrong. You shouldn't have to adjust the Vccin for a 4.6 Oc Auto should be fine. The only times I've ever had to raise mine was when I was really pushing my chip in the 5.5+ Ghz range. Same with Power Phase and Current Capability, on Haswells Auto should be fine. Take this with a grain of salt, I never had my hands on a Extreme 9 motherboard. Atminside, may be more help as he had an high end Asrock motherboard.

The reality is you're temps are fine and if it's stable then you do not need to change anything. Though, you may be able to get the temps down a bit with a little bit of adjustment.

LLC do adjust VCCIN.. if i set VCCIN to 1.860 and LLC to 7 the VCCIN stays at 1.872, if i raise LLC to 8 the VCCIN raises to 1.888 with vdrop to 1.872 ..

just correct me if im wrong :) new to all of this :)

should i leave LLC on AUTO or ?

Last edited:
im using ASUS Maximus VII Ranger .. MOBO

I keep getting WHEA UNCORRECTIBLE ERROR using prime95 - Inplace large FFT s ??

Using windows 10, could it be Prime, no other stress test programs crash they ran hours .. aida64/Realbench/OCCT .. Prime95 crashes within 2 minuts ?

Last edited:
im using ASUS Maximus VII Ranger .. MOBO

I keep getting WHEA UNCORRECTIBLE ERROR using prime95 - Inplace large FFT s ??

Using windows 10, could it be Prime, no other stress test programs crash they ran hours .. aida64/Realbench/OCCT .. Prime95 crashes within 2 minuts ?
Sorry when I read Extreme 9 in the first post I just assumed it was an Asrock board, my bad. I never really paid much attention to what my Vccin was doing under load, if it's going higher with the LLC set higher then you are correct it is raising it.

Were you getting these WHEA errors before you lowered the LLC when running prime? If you're not able to pass prime it's likely you're not giving the Cpu enough voltage. I find for my uses that if I can pass 2 hours of Prime blend I can throw anything I want at my pc and it will never crash. Note though that passing prime will usually require a bit more voltage then passing Aida. There are members here that swear by AIDA 64, you need to run it at least 2-3 hours to confirm stability. Have Stress Cpu, Fpu, Cache and Memory checked. If you can pass 2-3 hours of Aida and you're not having issues with what you use the Pc for then call it stable and enjoy it.

Ok so far so good, just a little Q more.. (Stress test with AiDA 64 and Realbench, OCCT)

Tryd stock settings, auto on all out of the box u may say... then stress test again just to watch the VID! Stock max voltage where 1.212 some times it jumps to 1.265 - 1.296 ??

is this normal behaviour.. it jumps to 1.265 1.296 kinda high i think ... and this i stock auto

What do you recommend LLC setting ? how to adjust, you say u use auto VCCIN - why are u adjusting LLC if u do :) ?

Regardz Carsten..

Last edited:
Well on my Haswell, Z87 Maximus Hero rig I actually left my LLC on Auto for daily usage. My settings are a bit different then on the Ranger, the goal for the LLC is to have it keep the voltage as close to the set voltage. The purpose of the LLC is to keep the Voltage from drooping when under load, which is a normal occurrence. You're going to need to play with the settings on the LLC a bit to find the best setting for your setup. If you have the voltage set to 1.21 V and it's jumping to 1.265-1.296 v that's too much for my liking. Set the LLC to where it stays closer to the set voltage. Have you read this guide, it may be some help

Got a stable OC now 47x vid 1.2v .. VCCIN 1.856v LLC7 so dont VDROP'S Below 1.856! Temps are good - idle 28c Load 60 max 65 :) WEEE

Using Prime95 version 26.6 Blend test 2 hours max temp 60 .. Aida64 max temp 65-67 .. Realbench max temp 65-67

Must be a good chip :)

Thanx for all your good help..

Rgardz Carsten

Last edited:
Back