• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A message to Ed or some other editor at OC.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevon27

Registered
I'm tired of your Amd is doing things wrong stuff. You keep complaining about amd not doing the right things to get their processor into the general public hands, and that they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Enough...

Do you think you should be talking to someone at Amd DIRECTLY. You need to get a interview with someone a real importance (they can make changes) and let the *******s have it.

Ask them what the heck are they doing... Lock them in a room and beat some sense into them and tell them what the company needs to do to be really on top of intel.

Its time a website like Overclockers.com get the balls and tell these people what the public really wants...

$800 for a 930 cpu... they are smoking bleach or something.

Darryl_D

hmmm its impossible to smoke bleach... just won't work... i mean honestly how do you smoke bleach??? or any liquid for that matter??? do you .et it boil or sometihng???

secondly i don't think you are really in the position to be making such direct remarks to editorsa and stating what o/cs.com needs to be doing. Quite frankly here is how it goes... in the large scale we as a community are worth very very very little to companies like amd. they don't have multimillion dollar contracts with o/cers.com however they do have multi million dollar contracts with toshiba... and other companies like that. And quite frankly those other companies don't really care how mu7ch a proc is because someone will buy it.

Secondly there is no way amd could ever become more successful than intel. At least not within the next 5-10 years or so. Simply put, intel has a ton more money than amd does, and is getting more and more every single day. granted amd is doig the same, but they just aren't growing (and by growning i mean financially) as intel is. They own about 1/4 of the market... and it takes more then just one day and one interview to change that around.

Thirdly why are you complaining in the first place? Ed already does a lot for o/cers.com. I don't see you doing anything. You haven't even taken the time to post here before. In any way all you are doing is stating what you think should happen, with no basis as to why it should. You want ed to talk to amd for what?? just so you can find out what's happening? my advice to you is to pick up a phone, and make a phone call YOURSELF!

rather irritated with this post.

djs488

ummm, if your so passionate why dont YOU do it. there just trying to point out somethings many people, or at least I, did not notice and how AMD could have better marketing strategies. Maybe AMD does, in fact, know what they're doing, after all, they pay big bucks to develop good marketing procedures, and, after all, the oc columnists may not have it EXACTLY right. also, regarding the interview, good luck; there are hundreds of computer-related websites, and for them to grant an interview to any of them would be ridiculous. do you think they have time to sort through the "valid" reasons for changing their marketing procedures and just the flames?

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Many of the articles written by Ed or any of the other guys at Overclockers.com are editorials. Editorials are articles that express the author's feelings. Nobody is asking you to agree with him. If you want to get this message to Ed, try emailing him he is more available, but be more respectful. Ed works very hard on the front page...he does not get paid. He does it for overclockers like us. He has been working his butt off for years without getting paid or anything. I am sure he would be happy to discuss this with you, but I urge you to do it respectfully. Constructive criticism is also better. "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar", as my mother always says.

By the way, Overclockers.com accepts articles and reviews from anyone, so if you want to write an editorial about your opinion that would be great. Then people can get another viewpoint on the same issue.

Matt

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I like Ed. :cool: And I believe he is just stating the truth. AMD has had ample chance to captitalize on Intels recent flub-ups. But (stupidly) they haven't...they have priced thier competitor chip line out of reach and released lack-luster sockets to go with it. Whatever??? :eh?:

Ed is the bomb!!!!

Ian Cody

I think his point was that Ed is writing about the faults he sees in amd to people who have a very limited effect on the practices of the company, and that someone(or as kevon puts it, ed) should go and tell AMD this, as they are the ones doing things wrong.

While i agree AMD should be told what they are doing wrong(i get ****ed when people complain i did something wrong, but dont tell me what it was, so i cant fix it!), only one persons point of view would have a limited effect. It would take a large percentage of AMDs purchasers to change their practices, and the consumer is a VERY small percentage, most the proc buyers are OEM corporations, who get deals for buying massive quantities(or somethin' else, but i guess this is a G forum), and them paying less means more money for them(take a guess what their goals are...)

So, since AMD doesnt listen to customers, you could get a Mac!

Ian Cody

That doesnt read like a very friendly welcoming comment MuEagle, though im sure thats what you meant it to read like, the wording is a little rough is all.

Also feel free to add your input to the discussion! The more points of view the better, right? I feel it adds to the "fun level" of reading here when more people post their opinions in a well thought out post(my posts are excluded of course :p)

and yes! we didnt welcome him to the forums! hows it go? big letter right?(dont know the color stuff yet, sorry..)

Welcome to the forums Kevon27!

thanks for bringing up a pretty good point kevon, though it is fun and easy to bicker amongst ourselves the shortcomings of others, it is also a good thing to tell them ways to better themselves.

gustav

MuEagle05 said:
Welcome to the forums n00b.

You made a grand entrance.

Here at the forums, we pride ourself on making new member feel "at-home". I'm surprised you dont know this being a 4-star member. That welcoming you posted just doesn't cut it IMO. However, I'm not the one to really say anything about this so, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS KEVON27!

About the subject at hand, it may not do much good right now, but maybe if a petition was written up about how their pricing is all wrong and that they should release the lower end processor first and work up to the high end (like intel did with the P4 line, which proved to be very sucessful) and we got a bunch of people from this forum as well as the hundreds of other enthusiest forums to "sign" it and then send it to AMD, maybe, just maybe it will give them a clue that they're doing things wrong. If we get enough people to sign it, I think it could knock some sense into the idiots at the AMD marketing department.

What do you all think of this?

Last edited:

OC Detective

Ed does a lot of very interesting articles - a good example would be the contradiction in AMD's statement on 90nm cpus v releasing a further FX55 at 130nm which showed that perhaps AMD were being economical with the truth!

My only bone of contention with the Editorials (after all they are personal opinion) is that they state conjecture as fact. An example would be saying AMD is going to make Semprons non 64 bit - now we all now that this has been stated in various websites etc - however AMD have never explicitly stated that this will be the case indeed they have stated on their website that more information about them will be out in the second half of this year. The point is if they come out and say it will be 64 bit but with say no on cpu memory controller and lower L2 cache for example (not saying it will though!) Ed will say that AMD has changed its mind even though it hasnt as it never provided details about it in the first place!!! Ed's reply to that is that because AMD dont tell us what is going on they have to conjecture - I dont have a problem with that - its when its stated as fact and then used later to try and portray indecision I have an issue with it. The above is just one example there are a number of others I have noticed before. Just in case someone comes on and says AMD IS making Semprons non 64 bit - note this is an example thats all I am not saying it wont happen.

BeerHunter

Whine whine. You need to look on front page: How about this quote for anti-amd:

"Let's face it, Prescott is not exactly overclockers' heaven.

We start with a CPU that still chews up about twice the power of its Hammer competitor to perform tasks. It will now sit on top of a socket practically designed to break. To significantly overclock it, you almost need a degree in cryogenics.

Could matters get worse?

Why, yes. Just in case there were any overclockers foolish enough to buy Prescotts left, Intel has decided it is time to implement a lock on FSB overclocking!

Go over 10%, and it crashes. "

Read it again if that helps... there are hundreds more like it too. ED's just matter a fact type of dude who pulls no punches. AMD or Intel don't mean ****. You want paid frill? A place that gives these guys a pass on everything? Go to any other site where thier income is dirived by keeping everyone happy and singing campfire songs about hardware.

MuEagle05

I know the welcoming routine. I was being sarcastic and sassy, if anything. It's not cool in my mind to just show up one day and start criticizing people, especially not someone as respected as Ed.

gustav

MuEagle05 said:
I know the welcoming routine. I was being sarcastic and sassy, if anything. It's not cool in my mind to just show up one day and start criticizing people, especially not someone as respected as Ed.

Agreed.

therapture

More power to Ed. He's right about AMD missing the boat on Intel's mistakes. I read and post here BECAUSE of the way Ed speaks his mind. Controversial? Sometimes...and very good reading. Sure, he could be like some fanboy sites and ki55 a55 all day long to AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ATI...but he doesn't. If you don't like it, don't read it. :temper:

Rock on Ed!!! :attn: ;)